The Plan

(A few days later)

"I don't really get what we're doing here." Evie said sitting on a little couch.

"Ben invited me to dinner with his parents. So I want to make a good first impressions. I want to look good." Mal explained.

"But why does it matter? If we're just gonna throw him in the mirror." Evie questioned. "Unless you actually like him and you're changing your mind." 

"No, no!" Mal denied. "I don't like him. It's just pretend. You know, to get him to really trust me." 

"Alright." Evie nodded. 

(Later)

"You know I'm really proud of you man. You've liked Mal for a while and you finally got the courage to ask her out. Now you're having her over for dinner with your parents." Jay was saying.

"Thanks man." Ben smiled, then looked over at Carlos. "Carlos, you okay man?"

Carlos was just sitting there spacing out, then looked over at the two. "Sorry, what?"

"I asked if you were okay. You've been staring off for a while." Ben told him.

"Oh yeah, yeah I'm fine." Carlos answered not sounding too confident.

Just then Carlos got a text. 

"Oh I gotta go." Carlos jumped out of his seat and ran to the door. "I'll see you guys later." 

"What's up with him?" Ben looked at over at Jay and asked.

"I don't know, but it doesn't matter right now." Jay shrugged. 

"Here! I'm here!" Carlos was yelling as he ran into the coffee shop. 

He ran over to the table where Mal and Evie were sitting. 

"Sorry I'm late." Carlos said breathing heavily. 

"You're actually here earlier than we thought." Mal told him.

"Oh. So what's up? Aren't you having dinner with Ben and his parents tonight?" Carlos was asking.

"Yes so we need your help." Mal stated.

"What you need help on what to say on a date?" Carlos joked, but the two just looked at him. Carlos gulped. "Sorry."

"We do actually." Mal stated.

"Wait really?" Carlos looked at them surprised. 

"Yes." Mal nodded. "If the plan is going to work, then I need to know as much as I can."

"Well then we better get started." Carlos replied and got comfortable. 

(Later)

"Is everything ready? Everything needs to be perfect." Ben was asking and making sure everything was set. 

"Ben, you don't need to worry so much. Everything is just fine." His mom assured him.

"You're sure?" Ben checked. 

"We promise." His dad walked up.

Just then the doorbell rang.

"That's her. She's here." Ben started to panic.

"Just relax son. And get the door." Ben's dad told him.

Ben nodded and took a deep breath, then walked over to the door. 

"Hey." Ben smiled nervously when he opened the door. 

"Hey." Mal replied and they hugged. 

"Come in, come in." Ben stepped out of the way for her.

"Mal. It's so nice to finally meet you." Ben's mom came up to her. 

"Hi..." Mal was saying, but before she could say anything more Ben's mom pulled her into a hug. "Oh."

"And Mal this is my dad." Ben introduced them.

"Hi." Mal smiled. 

"Don't worry I'm not gonna hug you." Ben's dad assured her and just held out hid hand.

Mal laughed a little and shook his hand. 

"Well come in. The food is just about ready." Ben's dad told her. 

(A few minutes later)

Everyone took their seats around the table as Ben's mom brought the food out. 

"Mom, you need help?" Ben asked and started to get up.

"No Ben I'm all set." His mom assured him and Ben sat back down.

(While they were eating)

"So Mal tell us a little about yourself. Even though all Ben does is talk about you, but we don't know that much." Ben's dad questioned. 

Mal looked over at Ben and smiled and noticed Ben's cheeks were red. 

"Well... My parents are divorced and I live with my mom and I visit him a lot." Mal was telling them.

"Well I'm sorry to hear about that. But what about your friends and school. Or even your hobbies." Ben's dad mentioned. 

"Well..." Mal was going to say.

"Seriously Dad?!" Ben shouted. "She told you things about her personal life. Which she didn't have to. But all you want to talk about her friends, school, and even hobbies?!"

"Ben it's okay." Mal tried to assure him.

"No!" Ben yelled and stood up. "I'm sorry. I just need to..." 

Ben didn't finish and just ran upstairs. 

"I'll talk to him." Mal told them, then went after Ben. 

She reached his room and knocked on the door.

"I'm not going back..." Ben was saying as he opened the door, then saw it was Mal. "Mal? What are you doing? Oh wait before you answer that. I'm sorry about my dad."

"Ben, Ben it's okay." Mal was trying to tell him. "Just." Mal said, then stepped in and closed the door. 

"I mean every time I introduced my parents to a girl and they let them talk about anything they want. If they wanted to talk about their personal lives my parents let them. But it's like they don't care what you have to say about your family." Ben was complaining.

"Ben, Ben." Mal was trying to calm him down. 

"I mean it's so annoying. Why can't they just respect who I like and what they want to talk about?" Ben was now starting to freak out. 

"Ben, Ben." Mal kept trying. 

"Maybe I should just stop introducing my family to girls I..." Ben was saying, but was cut off.

He was cut off by Mal grabbing him and kissing him. When they pulled away Ben was looking at her surprised and Mal was smiling. 

"You ready to go back down now?" Mal checked.

Ben took a deep breath. "I guess so." Ben smiled at her.

"Good." Mal smiled again. She took Ben's hand and they went back downstairs.

As they were leaving the real Mal was looking through the mirror with tears in her eyes.