Nineteen

Alycin was in her room, but she wasn't trying to sleep at all. She was opening every drawer in the room and emptying its contents. Then, she was throwing it all around in a fit of rage. Alex, who walked in without knocking, was almost beamed in the head with a hefty looking book.

He ran across the room, grabbed her arms, held them down, and pressed his mouth against hers. Her cheeks were wet, she'd been crying. He took both hands in one of his, then used his other hand to hold her face against his. To his surprise, but luck, she kissed him back. 

"Alycin, listen to me, okay? You're okay." he said as he pulled away slowly. "I'm going to let you go, and I want you to be calm, okay?" She nodded and he released her. She stepped closer, hugged him tight, pressing her face into his shirt.

"I can't believe I did that, Alex. I threw a cup at her." Alycin sobbed.

"It could have been worse," Alex said, hugging her back and resting his cheek against her head. "You could have actually hit her."

Laughing, Alycin pulled away and wiped her eyes. "I missed on purpose, though."

"Sure you did." he smiled down at her and kissed her forehead. "Are you okay? Really okay? I mean, I know you're upset about something, but...."

"It's a lot of things combined," Alycin sniffed. "Starting with what I told you yesterday and just adding to that."

"You've got me," Alex whispered softly, kissing Alycin's cheek. "What did you mean when you said that Natalie had no right?"

Alycin looked into Alex's eyes slowly. "It's the same thing she used to do to me. I'd wake her up around noon and she'd throw whatever she had nearest to her at me. Say that I have no right to tell her when to wake up." she shrugged, then looked at Alex's chest. "I don't know. I just.... I didn't sleep well last night."

"Why not?"

She looked down, laced her fingers around his, and leaned against his chest. "I was thinking,"

That's all she said. He didn't press her, didn't ask her what about. Just accepted that she was thinking. He gripped her hand, wrapping his other arm around her waist. He said nothing, just stood with her, her head resting on his chest. He was okay with that.

--

 Natalie stood, the rag in her hand soaked with coffee. Austin was finally finished sweeping up the ceramic shards. They had cleaned off the wall and the floor, fixing the mess that Alycin had made downstairs. 

Brushing her hair out of her eyes, Natalie nodded at Austin, then walked to the sink, wringing out the rag. Austin threw out the remaining pieces of the cup. "Natalie, if you want to talk about this-"

"No, it's okay. I understand, and that's all that really matters. Okay? You don't have to worry about this; I'll explain it all to your mother." 

"Baby, can you please at least help me understand it?" 

Natalie shook her head slowly and sighed. "There is nothing that will really help you understand. It's something that even I don't understand. She is obviously very angry that I pulled her out of bed this morning, must have had a bad night of sleep or something. I shouldn't have pushed, but I didn't want her just staring and.... I don't know." 

Austin took the rag out of her hand, set it in the sink, then wrapped his arms around his girlfriend. She looked really sad and confused, and to him, she looked so pretty. Her hair was in a messy bun, and she wore no make up. She was still in her pajamas, bare foot, with coffee spotting some of her face. 

He kissed her forehead, then wiped away the coffee spots. He told her to just get dressed, that she could talk to Alycin later. When Natalie said nothing in response, he let go of her and pushed her back a little way. "Go, really. We'll do something today, just the two of us before you have to go home."