Chapter 4

"Hi Henry," Tallie called out when he entered the room half an hour later. "Go ahead and get setup. I'll catch you up once I'm done working with Anthony."

The band had breezed through the five songs they would be playing at the Christmas Eve service and were now going over specific parts some of the kids were struggling with.

Tallie was helping the trumpet player run through two measures of notes and someone else called for help. When she finished with Anthony she was ready to help the next kid but found that Case had already stepped in. He was crouched next to the bass player, clapping out a rhythm. Tallie only got a moment to appreciate his help before Henry called her over.

"Excellent work today!" Tallie said half an hour later as the kids packed up their instruments. "Remember to practice all five songs one more time today and we will meet here tomorrow at 3 pm."

Again, the room became a flurry of activity as the kids pulled on jackets and slung instrument cases over their shoulders. Tallie grabbed her jacket as she led the way back upstairs to the waiting parents.

After the final goodbye, she hurried back downstairs, knowing she must be running late. But her steps slowed as she neared the back room. She could hear the clear plucking of the guitar and as she got closer she recognized the song.

It was Case's favorite song to finger-pick on the guitar and she had heard it a million times. There were so many afternoons he had sat in her garage playing over the same two measures, training his fingers to move smoother and faster.

The notes he played now were slow and hesitant as he searched for the once familiar notes. He stopped playing as she walked into the room.

"Hey," he said.

"Hey," she smiled. "Thank you so much for helping out today. It's usually a struggle to juggle helping all the kids, and it would have been impossible if I had to fill in on guitar too."

He waved away her gratitude. "I'm happy I could help. It's a great group of kids."

"I know. Aren't they great?"

He nodded as she began to gather all the music that had been scattered around the room. "Plus, playing the guitar again wasn't too much torture."

She finally let a knowing smile slip onto her face. "I had a feeling you would figure it out," she teased.

He laughed. "Remember this?" He started to play the familiar song again, his fingers a little more confident than even just minutes before.

"I don't think I could forget that if I tried. I think the notes have been seared into my brain."

"Do you remember your part?" He nodded to her guitar still in its case, resting against the back wall. They had turned the song into a duet they could play together. Case played the intricate notes while Tallie played the syncopated chords in the background.

She had to think about it for a moment, it had been so long since she had played it, but it was still there. She could faintly hear it and she knew if she got a guitar in her hand, it would all come back. She moved her hands in the chord pattern and it was enough for Case.

"We can do it," he said, his fingers already starting to pluck out the melody.

Tallie agreed and she reached for her guitar but paused when she saw the clock. It was later than she thought. She sat debating for a moment, so eager to play with Case again, but she knew she couldn't stay. She smiled regretfully, "I wish could, but I gotta run."

It took him a moment to respond, his mind already lost in the music. "What?"

"I have some stuff I have to take care of," she said, quickly gathering the rest of the music. "I'm actually already running late."