Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Students started to come out of their classes, though I heard no bell. Diane must have seen the confused look on my face because she added, "There are no bells in this school. Students are responsible enough to be able to tell time."

Behind Diane, I saw a boy with brown hair come out of a classroom and smile at me. I felt a surge of happines. The first person I saw actrually smiled at me.

"Maryline!" Diane called to a girl, just comming out of her last class. She looked about the same age as me with long red hair and a bag that looked heavier than a wheelbarrow full of rocks.

"Yes?" She scurried over.

"Could you give this girl here a tour of the school?" Diane asked. "I will excuse you from your class-"

"Of course!"" Maryline said, without hesitating. She grabbed my arm, "Common, newbie."

"Wait," Diane handed me a card. One of the kinds they use in hotels. A key card to my dorm. On the front the number "18" was engraved.

As Diane turned to leave, Maryline dragged me to the side and started with the questions. "What's your name?"

"Devon Lucian-" I responded as Maryline cut me off.

"Oh, cool. You can call me Mary." She held out her hand and I shook it. "How'd you get here?"

"What?" I didn't understand the question.

"Why are you at this school?" She asked again.

"Oh." I stalled. I really didn't feel like telling someone I just met. "I really don't know." I half told the truth.

She looked at me quizically then said, "Alright. Moving on..."

She took me around the school and showed me to all the classes.

"We have a small number of misbehaviors this year." She told me, "So we all have the same teachers. Same classes. Like a big happy family." She turned to look at me.

Then she noticed my eyes.

 "Purple Eyes?" she gaped. "I would kill for those." She stared at my eyes.

"Uh..." I avoided her gaze. "Thanks...?"

She looked at me in awkward silence but then continued touring me, dismissing the subject.

"This is the auditorium." she showed me to a large stage with at least 200 seats to acompany it.

"Whoa." I gaped at the largeness of the theatre.

"Yup," Mary bragged,"It can hold up to 15 elephants in it."

Suddenly, the doors of the auditorium opened and a boy strolled onto the stage. He scowled when he noticed us.

"Maryline." he practically spat. He had brown hair that fell to his neck and dark blue eyes. I soon realized that this was the boy I had first seen when I had entered the school.

"Kyle." Mary spat back. Literally.

Then he looked at me. "Is Mary already treating you like a slave?"

"Of course I'm not!" Mary snapped.

Kyle shrugged. "Well, see you..." 

"Devon." I finished for him.

"See you Devon." He smiled and left the stage carrying duct tape.