Chapter 1: Downfall

It was a long life filled with hurt and pain, being controlled by a corrupt society and being burnt by a childhood friend was bound to take its toll. You and Keigo met at a very awkward time, he was just a newly pro hero and not many knew his name. It should've been odd that he found you perfect when you were quirkless and he was, well, Hawks. That never mattered to him though it was you after all, his dove. It was quite exciting to run into you in his favorite fast food restaurant, much less someone as beautiful as yourself.

He'd never forget how your hair bounced in the light while watching you smile eagerly. Or your expression when you got the same fried chicken he'd always get, you lived such a simple life and you couldn't have been happier with it and that intrigued him. He envied you for it, for being able to have that type of freedom in your life.  All that had to happen was for you to meet Keigo's eyes and the rest was history.

Both of you went on dates whenever you were able, what with Keigo's schedule, even so he always made time for you. The weekends over the years were filled with take out on the couch, watching your favorite movies, and cuddling until you fell asleep in each other's arms. The mornings always filled with the smell of breakfast being made, being greeted by Keigo only in his Endeavor boxers and that bright pink apron you gifted him, or those sparkling golden eyes staring back at you. Even waking up to get more comfortable in his arms as he snored away loudly never deterred you. Being with Keigo was like walking into the gates of heaven, it was ethereal.

Around the time he was undercover things were pretty rocky, he kept secrets he wasn't allowed to tell. Many nights went by sleeping alone in the cold bed, it wasn't until you saw the news you realized it all. You'd slept pretty long due to your depression so you didn't even see any of the damage done to the city. Buildings were destroyed, thousands were dead, most of the city was turned to rubble or ash. You'd hoped Keigo wasn't hurt, he was the number two hero after all it would be hard for him to be immobilized. That was until you looked at your phone with dozens of missed calls and messages, urging you to come to a nearby hospital, that you realized he had been badly hurt.

You couldn't remember how you got there all you could remember was the image of him in that bed. That image of his limp, bandaged body hooked to so many different things you couldn't pinpoint where or what they were. The doctors said he was in a coma and they weren't sure he'd make it out, but you refused to let go. You refused to give up, you'd never give up on him. Many people came and go, heroes, friends, family, but they all eventually stopped. Everyone constantly pleading for you to let go, to move on from him. Always saying it's useless and not worth it, as if Keigo was anything less than worthy.

There were days you went without sleep or food, refusing to move from your spot. You couldn't just leave him not after everything with him, what if he woke up and you weren't there? The months went on with barely any progress until one day you felt his hand squeeze yours. His eyes were still closed and he wasn't awake but it was something. The staff would come in every hour to check in on his status, he seemed to be improving with each day that passed. Weeks eventually went by before he could even open his eyes, but he could barely move, if he even was able at all.

The staff had said it could be possible he could wake up, but to not bet on it. They told you to not get your hopes up, but you were never one that was good at listening. Eventually the months went by until one day you awoke to a hand on your head, looking up you saw Keigo with his eyes open. He weakly smiled at you to say not to worry, but that's all you could do. Worried or not you couldn't contain your tears of joy, reaching your hands on his cheeks as you put your forehead to his.

He's alive. He's really alive.

"Hey kid, been awhile huh?"