Time to Get Out of Here

The diner wasn’t the best place for me to hang around, but god damn did they have some good peach cobbler. The news always played and some soft jazz from the vintage jukebox in the conner. It was nice, well the diner itself, but the people that are always in it are some...special individuals. But I was only here for my cobbler and that’s all. As I ate, I could hear some bickering coming from behind me and when I turned, I could see some low lives arguing and I knew that it wasn’t good. I waved for a waitress but before she could come over a cup flew through my head and smash against the seat in front of me, “Fuck...hopefully no one saw...” I turned to look at everyone and no one seemed to notice. At least not any of the people that were ready to fight. “S-Sir...I think you should leave.” I snapped out of it and saw the waitress next to me and nodded. “Perhaps that would be best. Though could I please get some cobbler for the road?” She nodded and waved me off then walked to the kitchen. I picked up my things and left a hefty tip to ease her day as it seemed it was only going to get worse.

I walked out to my car and got in, rolling down my window and waited for the waitress. She came out with the food and gave it to me, “You be careful now, try not to use I-210. I heard they’re setting up checkpoints there today.” I nodded and smiled as I started the car, “Thank you, hopefully you saw the tip I left. Try and make the most of it please.” She nodded and I pulled out from the diner lot and started heading back to the motel. I had a feeling something was off, but I figured it was just because I ate the cobbler so early. As I drove, the sun started to rise and light up the city, it was always nice to city like this, though I’m sure I’ll miss this place. The motel came closer and closer, and that bad feeling, it was getting worse. There were flashing red and blue lights coming from the front and even some vans with people being put inside. I parked down the street and watched as everyone who lived my life, lived the same fear as I, was taken away.

I swore under my breath and slammed my hands against the steering wheel, “Fucking shit, I knew I should’ve planned all of this sooner...” I turned the car around and started booking it to the nearest highway. Flying through red lights and around corners, I didn’t care what had come in my way, I needed to get to the airport. I made my way onto I-5, heading towards San Jose. As I was weaving through traffic, Marcus had called. “Speak of the devil, I was thinking about calling you.” I heard him laugh weakly and then sigh, “Yeah, I figured you were. The safe house is all over the news. Says like forty somethin’ phasers were caught?” I sighed and slowed the car down to the limit, “Yeah, the entire site was busted while I was out at the diner.” There was a brief moment of silence and then Marcus cleared his throat, “Well, you were planning on calling me, what’s up?” I laughed nervously and there was a long sigh from him, “You’re joking? Right?”

I laughed harder and shook my head, “Unfortunately, no. But I need you to fly me to Japan, in the Hercules.” Marcus groaned and I heard him hit the table, “Why the hell do we need to fly the Hercules?” I pulled off the highway and parked under a bridge, “Well, I need my car of course. I can’t leave my baby here. Besides she’s one of a kind.” I heard Marcus sigh and swear under his breath, “You know what, I’m about to introduce you to your new baby. You can have your baby and keep her here with me. But the L-100 is far too noticeable.” I put the car into gear and got back onto the highway trying to think about what exactly he had in mind. “Alright, well I’ll see you in a few hours, she best be a beauty.” Marcus laughed and then hung up, leaving me to drive for another four and a half hours.