Prologue

“Today yet another country has passed the Anomaly act to sanction all Anomalies in their own zones; making Germany, the one hundred, eighty-fifth state to pass this act.”

I scoffed and turned off the tv, threw my cigar, and stood up. “Dumb bastards, maybe you wouldn’t have to if you treated us like humans.” I was drunk off my ass but sometimes it’s better to be that than in pain. Six years had gone by since they started this anomaly bull shit and everyone who was deemed an anomaly was discriminated. “And for what? There’s obviously nothing wrong with us...well most of us that is.”

I grabbed a coat and walked out the front door, thinking about the bull shit I had just heard, “If Germany has passed the act then we’re sure to be next. But if that were the case, we’d sure to be moved to camps and not specialized zones.” I got down the hall and pressed down on the elevator. It was pretty late, so the only noise there was came from the elevator.

“You’re up awfully early, today aren’t you?” I turned to see my landlord with his dog and nodded, leaning down to pet the dog, “Yeah, but it’s better early than late and tired.” He laughed and nodded gesturing to the elevator, “Yeah that’s true, just try to keep the trouble away from my apartments okay?” I stepped into the elevator with him and chuckled softly, “No problem, besides, what reason would I have to bring trouble home?” He put his hand on my shoulder. Well, at least he tried to but it just phased through and nodded, “I know you wouldn’t, just make sure you’re not followed when you come through the back.” The elevator came to a stop and we stepped out, then walked towards the front doors. “Well, have a safe trip. If you get beat by some miracle then just call my wife. She seems to know how to clean up the phasers here pretty well.”

I turned down the sidewalk and nodded, “Of course, and as always, thank you for not turning us in.” He nodded and walked off with his dog and I got in my car, hopefully today was different but I don’t think it will be. I needed to get out of this country and fast, but leaving just didn’t feel right at all. I always felt attached to this place specifically but I knew that eventually I’d have to leave. “Welp, no time like the present I guess.” I pulled out of the parking lot and started heading to the Diner. As I was on my way down the highway, I could see the sun rising and even the morning haze that usually makes the city glow, “Good morning City of Angels.”