029

She would have had stayed that way if not for the sudden small movement of the sofa and a pair of eyes she felt was staring at her. She slightly turned her head and peeked with one eye at the man who was also smiling brightly to himself. Dahyun then opened both of her eyes and stared at Jungkook questioningly.

"Are you laughing at me?" she asked.

"No," he shook his head in reply, "It's just that it's refreshing, the view that is."

"Hmmm," Dahyun hummed and nodded, "That's the precise reason why my father has placed this big window here. He thought that we would love seeing the beauty of the sky and nature; I miss this. It's a view that is so hard to see in a busy city."

"Hmmm. I was actually pertaining to your smile," Jungkook said which made Dahyun turn to the male again. He beamed in amusement as he added, "I haven't seen it for so long."

She squinted at him before saying, "You wouldn't get me with those pick-up lines. You're still gate-crashing right now. You should thank me."

"Thank you," Jungkook replied within a split second.

Her lips curved into an almost unnoticeable smile before she properly sat on the sofa, now facing the rest of the first floor of the house. Jungkook did the same, and there was a long silence between the two of them as both of them watched Mrs. Kim appear and disappear from the small door of the kitchen.

"So why are you here?" Dahyun finally asked Jungkook.

"I wanted to make sure that you would arrive safely at your home," Jungkook answered.

"I'm not a kid," Dahyun replied.

"I know. But the last time we left you alone, you attempted to do something stupid," he retorted.

"I'm regretting it already so stop scolding me," Dahyun whispered as her gaze fell to the floor.

Fortunately to her relief, Jungkook took the initiative to redirect their conversation.

"Who's that boy?" he asked.

"Who?" Dahyun asked back but as she got what he was hinting, she asked again, "Hyunjin?"

"Yeah," Jungkook nodded.

"He's the child of our neighbor. We're technically childhood friends, but he's best friends with both of my sisters," Dahyun answered.

She glanced at him and noticed that it was as if there was another question lingering in his mind.

Jungkook hesitated for a moment before asking, "Is he another rival?"

Dahyun broke into a chuckle at his question, and Jungkook could only stare at her in wonder, but then even before she could answer him, they were already interrupted by three distinct footsteps running downstairs and the three seventeen year old's appeared, panting.

Shortly after, Mrs. Kim's voice resonated in the house as she called, "Dinner's ready!"

Seeing that the table was a little crowded because of two additional people, Mrs. Kim smiled to herself. At first, only the clanking of plates and utensils filled the air as all of them indulged at the finesse of Mrs. Kim's cooking and the freshness of the food and the ingredients used.

Dahyun let out another beam as even her tongue could attest on how she was already home and how special the feeling was.

But then the silence was broken when Chaeryeong asked, "Unni. Why is Taehyung oppa not with you?"

When the gap between the answer and the question was proven to be too long, Mrs. Kim glanced at Dahyun and saw how she became fidgety at the question.

Just one glance, and her mother knew that there was something off with the mention of Taehyung.

Mrs. Kim then flashed a smile at Chaeryeong and said, "Chaeryeong, your oppa's the CEO of his father's company now. You can't expect him to visit often. He's really busy, I guess."

"But he used to make time for us," Chaeryeong mumbled silently but the words reached Dahyun's ears.

"Why are you even looking for someone who's not here? It's disrespectful for the visitor," Chaeyeon whispered.

"Of course I would look for the one that's not here. It's absurd seeking for something that's already right in front of your face," Chaeryeong whispered back.

Dahyun had resumed eating but her eyes were still staring blankly at her plate and her movements became slow as she became engulfed in thoughts.

Seeing the discomfort in Dahyun's eyes, Mrs. Kim reached for a plate of food, and redirected the conversation by saying, "Here, Dahyun. Eat lots and lots. I know you've missed this."

Helping Mrs. Kim, Jungkook made the initiative to tell stories that would deviate from the idea of Taehyung's absence.

He started by asking, "Do you want me to narrate how unfortunate my first meeting with Dahyun was?"

Fortunately, everyone at the table bought his invitation.

----------

AN: Happy New Year everyone!