Because Hearts Get Broken - I Know That You're Scared (Part 2)

Continuation of 'Because Hearts Get Broken' - see my masterlist for it :)

Synopsis: She's trying to move on. He's still hoping for a chance

Pairing: Harry Styles x fem!Reader

Genre: angsty, bruh, but with a sprinkle of fluff and a hopeful (??) ending

Warnings: swearing, emotionally distant mindset... can't think of anything else, really.

Word count: 3656

________________________________________________________________________________

Heartbreak isn't loud. Y/N doesn't even know if it had a sound what it would be like. Like glass shattering against the ground? Or maybe like a book being ripped and shredded apart, memories of time spent together ruined. Or maybe it'd like the crackle of a fire, as it slowly but surely crept up and turned everything into charred remains before it became nothing but ash and was carried away by the winds.

No one in her family talked about feelings. If they did all they received back was 'suck it up. That's life'. After that, it was time to move on. So, when she got together with probably the most open-hearted person in the world, it was almost laughable.

Y/N had always been the friend others went for advice, relationship or not, but she herself never asked for one, simply because she didn't wanna bother anyone. Not that she thought the others were bothers. It's just having grown up in a household where emotions were basically suppressed, opening up was quite impossible.

Then came Harry. Perfect, impossible, loving, sweet, kind, ridiculously open Harry. God, she just wanted to punch him because no one should be that nice.

January 2nd, 2020 he'd called her up, having gotten Y/N's number from Sarah (after ages of pleading, because as much as Sarah sometimes couldn't handle drunk Y/N, she'd defend and protect her until the very last breath), and they set up a coffee date.

Slowly but surely, they spent more and more time together and seeing as her job had her based in LA for a while, visiting Harry was no problem. Then the pandemic hit, and on March 18th the whole stay-at-home order was issued in California.

Y/N was in a panic. She was meant to leave LA in ten days, and the hotel her company was paying for had been paid until the 28th. With all flights getting rapidly cancelled, she was scrambling to get one, but even her firm was unable to get her a seat. That's when Harry had called up, his tone a worried, urgent mess as to if Y/N was alright and what her plans were.

Of course, him being him, he immediately offered her a place to stay.

"We don't even need to stay in the same room, there's like five other guest rooms you can take up," he tried to joke, and ease her tension.

"Fuck, Harry, just rub it in how rich you are." Y/N cackled, and when she heard him laugh in the background, her heart did that stupid fluttery thing she'd grown so used to.

It took a little persuasion from Harry's side, and reassurance at least seven more times, that Y/N wouldn't be intruding on his space, and he was more than happy to spend the quarantine with someone else, instead of being alone, and that in no way her taking over a room or two would limit him and his own artistic endeavours. So, apprehensively Y/N packed her suitcases, grabbed an uber, wearing a mask the whole time, and drove to Harry's place.

When Y/N saw the gated community and the palace he was living in, the inside of her cheek was practically bitten in half. They'd barely been together for three months, and now she was basically moving in with him, but given how it was either live with Harry in a fucking mansion or walk across the country to New York, she took the first option.