Give You Hell (one-shot)

Synopsis: When you're in a relationship with someone famous while being famous it can be difficult. But not for the Reader and Harry, yet when her past comes knocking, she'll make sure to know where she stands.

Pairing: Harry Styles x fem!Reader

Genre: fluff, some minor angst, like microscopic

Warnings: swearing, reference to a past abusive relationship, but nothing explicit.

Word count: 3428

100% inspired by 'All American Rejects'' 'Gives You Hell'

________________________________________________________________________________

Dating someone famous while being famous yourself had pros and cons, much like everything in life. The cons mostly came from the outside, not from the inside. It was the opinions of others, thinking what they said mattered, the scrutiny of the press, hoping one of them would mess up, and they could run some bullshit article just so their numbers could go up, without a second thought of how the people involved felt, and it was some jealous fans who didn't seem to comprehend the people they admired were actual human beings with feelings and thoughts and emotions and autonomy. But other than that, Y/N's and Harry's relationship was just like any other. Save for when their emotions bubbled over, millions of people heard them in songs.
They'd met at the iconic yellow-suit-Harry Brit awards. She'd been right next to Hugh Jackman opening the show, a red glittering bodysuit with a black and gold ring-master jacket, a top hat adorning her head as she dominated the stage. If Harry had been sloshed at that point (much like he was later on, but who was Y/N to say, given how most of the night was a blur for her), he would've absolutely started drooling at the sight of her, and he was one of the thousands who stood up, hollering and clapping as she and Hugh ended their performance.

Much to his dismay though, Y/N wasn't one of the people assigned to sit by his table, instead, she was a couple of rows behind, whispering something into Billie Eilish's ear, the two erupting into uncontrollable laughter.
He felt like a creep as he tried to catch every possible glimpse of Y/N, her smile making his heart race. She'd been on his radar for a while, had even thought about asking her to collaborate on a song for 'Fine Line', but at the end of the day, it was an album of personal discovery (and when one of his producers told him Y/N was halfway across the world in the middle of Norwegian woods for the next half-year working on her own music, he didn't want to be a bother). But seeing her then, Harry wondered why he hadn't reached out on his own, especially after at the after-party Lizzo had dragged Y/N to him and introduced the two.
The following day, pictures of them dancing together, drinks in hands and drunken grins on their faces would sweep the web, sparking millions of rumours, but, at that moment, they didn't care, nor did they care about what was written because as Harry twirled Y/N under his arm, as much as the connection was there, that night they went their separate ways. Even when they were drunk, they understood that about the other person, and wouldn't accept anything else, but a sober and coherent 'yes'.
Sometime midday the next day, Harry reached out to Y/N through a DM on Instagram checking in on how she was doing, which then turned into a six-hour FaceTime call.
"What do you mean you've never had a hangover?!"
Y/N laughed at Harry's almost offended expression. "I mean I've never had a hangover. I've never thrown up while drunk or after being drunk, my head's never hurt – nothing. I mean I'm tired, but that's because I'm still on New York time and got to bed at like five AM."
"You... are something else."
She wiggled her eyebrows. "Is that something else something good?"
Y/N didn't know, but when Harry saw her eyes sparkle, his heart skipped a beat, and he immediately knew – she was it. "The best."
"Well..." she bit her lip. "If I'm the best, would it be too forward of me to ask you out for a coffee?"
What Harry didn't know was that when she saw him smile as if those were the best news in the world, her heart skipped as well, and she knew he was the one.
"Only if it's my treat."
"But I was the one who asked you out."
"Yes, but you can pay for the second date."
Holding in her squeals of joy was tough, but she raised her eyebrow, giving Harry a sly smirk. "Already so confident there'll be a second date?"
Harry scoffed. "And a wedding!"
Seeing Y/N throw back her head as she laughed, made all sorts of butterflies fly through his stomach.
"Okay, Styles. I'll take your word for it."
Three months into the relationship, the two were booked to appear on The Graham Norton show together, which was also the first time they'd appear officially as a couple at a work/outing kind of a setting since the rumours started floating, and a picture of Harry kissing Y/N outside of a hotel room had sort of confirmed that.
"So, you two." Graham pointed between Y/N and Harry with his cards. "Have started to date? Not to say anything Harry, but Y/N... I didn't think boy-bands were your type."
That made her lean over in laughter as Harry gave everyone a shocked face, before slumping back and pouting, nudging Y/N with his knee. "That's not funny."
"I mean it kind of is."
"She was twelve when she swore off boy-bands." Graham nodded, taking a sip of his wine. "Isn't that what you said last time you were here?"
"Hey, it's been ten years since I said that!" Y/N laughed. "Cut me some slack. All the people I was crushing on are married anyway... with kids... and could probably be my dads... I have issues, don't I?"
Everyone exploded into giggles while Harry shook his head, chuckling.
"Love you with all of your issues." He nudged her shoulder, and she nudged right back, taking a sip of her drink.
"Yeah, give it a couple of months. You'll regret your words."
The thing was Y/N was so wrong, and she'd never been happier to be so wrong. Each morning they were together, Harry woke up to her showering him with kisses or vice versa. As private as Harry was, his Instagram stories were now filled with pictures and small videos of them, of Y/N's face half-covered by a blanket, glasses crooked as she smushed her cheek to his chest and watched a movie, or her eating breakfast while re-watching old Bones and Castle episodes with captions like 'dunno how she keeps the food down' and 'she swears it's just for research', while her feed was full of candid Harry photos or her rummaging through his closet and showing everyone his immaculate style, and giving tips how others can recreate it (also she may or may not just use that as a reason to steal his clothes).
Generally, people loved it, and their love for one another. It was refreshing to see them enjoy each other's company, and not be afraid to do so, especially now, given how it was a couple of days before Y/N ended her tour in New York in Madison Square Garden, to which Harry had specifically flown out for despite being in the middle of filming for 'The Little Mermaid'.
Three AM blinked on the clock, as the two finally drifted off to sleep after five hours of a passionate reunion when her phone dinged, indicating a message had arrived.
"Turn it off," Harry grumbled into the skin of Y/N's back. "'S too early."
She hummed in agreement, furrowing her brows as her palm blindly searched for the offending device, and she squinted her eyes as the light burned her retinas before widening in shock at the message.
Harry felt her body go rigid, and he pressed a kiss to her neck. "Everythin' alright, lovie?"
"Uh – " she stuttered, trying to process the words on the screen. "Uh, yeah. Yes, everything's fine. Just... some last-minute changes for the show. They want something really big for the ending, and some of the propositions are just..."
She could feel a smile stretch across Harry's mouth. "Extravagant?"
"You could say that, yeah."
"Sounds like it's gonna be one hell of a show. Not that the others weren't."
Y/N switched the phone off wiping away the message first and then turned to cuddle into Harry's chest. "It most certainly will."
For the next two days, she was an anxious ball of mess, as her crew got everything ready, and her and her band rehearsed relentlessly before she asked all of them to gather at the studio to add a song to the setlist.
"It's gonna be a couple more hours, Hazza," Y/N murmured into the phone as Harry had called in to check on her. " 'M sorry. You don't have to wait up for me. I know you're still adjusting to New York time."
" 'S alright," he slurred, clearly already falling asleep but determined not to. "Can't sleep without you anyway."
At those words, Y/N's heart did that stupid flipping thing it'd been doing ever since Harry entered her life to stay, and a shy grin blossomed on her lips. "You're exhausted, sweetheart. But I'll tell you what - if you do go to bed, I'll be sure to wake you up with a kiss when I get back."
"You promise?" She could hear the smile on his face.
"Swear it."
"Alright, lovie. I'll be waiting to cash in on that kiss."
"I'll run to give it to you as soon as I can. G'night."
"See ya' in a bit."
Y/N let out a shudder as she heard the call disconnect. She entered back inside the studio and clapped her hands, drawing the attention of her producers and band members. "Where were we?"