Chapter 1

Credit: @2_nezumi2987 (Twitter/Pivix)

-----

Tobio was suited up for the occasion, but it wasn't for a celebration. His sister, Miwa, followed her little brother closely, as the two siblings were being gobbled up in a crowd. They haven't had a family reunion this big, this important in a long time. Tobio couldn't remember any of their faces, heck, he didn't even care. The only person he gave a damn about now was right in front of him.

Cold, stoned, lifeless.

Laying in a coffin.

His photo in front of the alter.

Tobio didn't even get the chance say farewell to his grandfather before he rest forever.

It all happened too quickly for Tobio.

-------

Tobio didn't know what to feel, he didn't know how to feel. He has been excused from school for this family issue. So he sat in the living room, while his parents and relatives scurry around the house dealing with the post-funeral repercussions and stuff.

Stuff.

He knows he couldn't help with anything, so he gets up, grabs a towel and decides to take a shower to hide from the crowd. Apparently, he isn't the only person who has the same idea. He turns the knob on the bathroom door. Locked. He thought about knocking the door, but a soft sniffling could be heard from the other side. Tobio leans forward and place his ears on the door.

"Keep......it......together......."

Miwa chocks on her words softy, crying on shallow breathing. She should expect this. No, she already did. Ever since Ji-chan was admitted into the hospital, she had told herself to get ready for this day.

She's been holding back her tears since the news of her Ji-chan's passing, thinking that she has it under control, but the moment she walks in a closure, private space, she betrays her own ideals involuntarily. Miwa being the eldest Kageyama, she feels a sense of responsibility. So she refuse to let her feelings burden her family further, especially being a pillar for her little brother to depend on.

Because if there's anyone in the family who would crash the funeral to see Ji-chan one last time, she knows it's stupid little Tobio.

Miwa wrap her towel over her face and avoid looking into the mirror. She wipes her tears, embarrassingly, she imagines how lame and crappy she looks. It sucks. She's beginning to think that her hair sucks too, how it coils and tangles around her face and head, mopping on her tears.

Tobio has heard enough and decides to back off, but his clumsy knee bangs on the door. He hopes his sister didn't hear that.

Too bad for him because Miwa definitely did.

She pulls the towel off from her face and flings the bathroom wide open to see Tobio clutching onto his towel, slightly startled.

"You can shower first," Miwa slips past her little brother and marches to her room.

------

Tobio has his struggles. Clearly, he has yet to adapt to it.

Every so often Tobio wakes up with little enthusiasm that he would be watching Oikawa-san serving and setting during volleyball practice, but immediately comes to realisation that he's in second year now. And every evening he thinks about watching volleyball matches with Ji-chan, but the only thing waiting for him at home is quietness, and pieces of note from his parents.