1. Burning Embers

George:
I want to tell you the start of the end before I tell you the end of a new beginning
I sat around the fire. The fire licked at the logs above it. Just three of us left now. I heard a rustling in a near by bush.
The fires gentle orange glow barely kissed the black-green leaves of the White-berried bush, so I couldn't see the moving shadow in much detail.

Maddie, the only girl, got scared. I could tell because she clung to Harry, my best and only friend left, and buried her head in his chest and pulled him close. Hard for me to believe she has no feelings for him now especially with his arm where mine should be.

At that point I don't know what induced more pain- the sight of Maddie with Harry like that. Or the blood I was still shedding for her.

That very day I dug through countless thorned bushes to find her, she was in a heap on the floor sobbing because of a twisted ankle. Yet again, Harry was nowhere to be seen when she needed him. Need us.

The rustles brought me out of my depressing daze. Without an ounce of fear, a cat emerged and strides up to the fire as if it were prey and had done this a thousand times before. 'Hunters instinct' kicked in and the cat crouched to the floor still fixated at the blazing fire.

It's jet black fur glistening against the light of the flame. It's yellow eyes turned a vibrant orange and its pupils withdrew and became wire-thin. They grew bigger the closer it crawled. The cat got so close the wisps of flames almost licked the hunters whiskers.

It's attention detracted from the burning embers to the fearful Maddie pressed against Harry's chest.
I willed that cat to claw his smug eyes out. To hell with it- I wanted that cat to KILL THEM BOTH. If I can't have her- no one can.

He betrayed me. My friend. My brother. My blood.

The cats eyes morphed to red, then to black. I swear it doubled in size. Claws grew from little stubs on the end of each toe to weapons at least thumb-length. Suddenly, the quite assassin made one solitary sound- a growl even a lion would back away from.

The cat astounded me with its actions. But I didn't stop it. As much as I wanted, I simply couldn't.