18 | Glimpse

Tonight, it starts like the usual.

Hashirama woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside his bedroom window. 

It was a warm early morning, it’s still summer after all, and he made a mental note to start the preparations for his plants for the upcoming fall season. He always took good care of them, but he paid them more attention during the fall. He’s always treated them as if they’re his own precious children, despite what both Madara and Tobirama say about it. (Somewhere along the lines of it being borderline weird and simply absurd). 

Hashirama had only laughed at that time. It’s very rare for the two to agree on something.

A bead of sweat ran down his forehead and he could feel some of his hair sticking onto the back of his neck. It really was uncomfortable, but he couldn’t bring himself to move and get off his futon yet. Not when someone’s looking so at peace still sleeping and snuggling comfortably at his side. 

So instead, Hashirama scooped even closer, pressing a light kiss on the other’s forehead.

He had to hold back his chuckle when he saw Madara’s current state: hair a wild mess, some of it even sticking onto his face. Hashirama carefully tucked them away and for a while, he watched Madara and let his peaceful sleeping form lull him back to sleep.

When Hashirama woke up for the second time that morning, it was because of Madara.

“...Hmm...hot…” Madara half-grumbled, half-said. His forehead was scrunched but his closed eyes were a clear indication that he's still fast asleep. He's still in this state when he tried to lift Hashirama’s arm that was wrapped around him. They were both sweating.

Hashirama lifted the said arm and moved away a bit, but he still kept a small distance between the two of them. By this time, Madara was already starting to wake up, eyes watering slightly as he yawned. Hashirama greeted him with a fond smile.

“I’ll go make breakfast. You sleep some more, hm?” He whispered by his ear, caressing Madara's cheek. Then he dipped his head to place a chaste kiss on his lips.

Madara closed his eyes again, humming contentedly as a silent answer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

“Must you really go?”

“We’ve already talked about this, Hashirama. You and I both know that I should go.”

As one of the founders of the Hidden Village of this very nation, Madara taking on this mission personally was the most effective way of showing good will in hopes of gaining the daimyou's favor in the future. Plus, it was requested by the daimyou himself so they really have no other choice. 

“Yeah, but…” Hashirama murmured, the rest of his words drowned by his own mumbling. 

Madara clicked his tongue, but Hashirama knew him well enough to know that the other wasn’t annoyed at him. Well, maybe a little, but still.

“But what?” challenged Madara.

Hashirama pouted his lips and went to his sulking mode at the corner of his office. It’s utterly childish, not to mention unbecoming of the Hokage, but knowing what this little antic of his could do to Madara, he’s more than willing to play the role.

“…I just—“ he sighed. “I’ll miss you.”

And it’s true. It’s really perplexing how when they were kids, they couldn’t see each other for months on end, years even, but now that they’re finally together after all those years of being apart, Hashirama couldn’t even begin to think how he’ll spend the next five days without Madara.