The Girl Next Door

The new neighbors move in quickly over the next week. I cried out all the tears in my body. I look out my window to see the neighbors loading out the last box. I decide to meet this new girl so I wait one more day to let them settle in and prepare my welcoming speech.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*************************~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knock on them smooth wood door three times thinking of when I knocked on this same door in Morse Code to Jaelynn. An older lady answers the door and I expect her to be the Grandma. "Hello deary," she croaks "Are you here to meet our little Div?" "Yes and I have something for your family, because I live next door." I hold out the neatly frosted cupcakes of gold and silver. I spent most of the night making and perfecting them. "Oh thank you" the old lady says, "come on in." I walk into the house I've been to many times before, newly furnished. Div runs down the stairs probaly hearing me at the door. The small girl has darker skin with long blackish-brown hair that falls a little under her shoulders. Her eyes are big and dark and look me up and down. They look as if they've seen all the horrors in the world. Except they haven't because she is smiling wide. "Hi I'm Div come on up to my room." she says fastly. We walk into Jaelynn's brother's room, the second biggest from the master bedroom. "We are gonna paint the walls light green, my favorite color. Did you know my name means 'evil spirit' in Indian? I hate my parents for that. But don't worry I'm passive until the desert comes." I suddenly regret bringing ten big globs of sugar that look like beautiful cupcakes. " When I was driving here I saw an awesome pier looking walkway in the water and I really want to check it out. Will you come with me?" Div is a crazy little kid, even if she is only a year younger. I wonder if the 'evil spirit' comment is true. I brush it away and walk with her to the pier.