Substitute

Rosette and Shuichi were walking together, planning to have lunch at the school's rooftop. They were talking about random stuffs and were having a good time.

Years have already passed since Rosette last saw her fox friend Kurama and she's already attending Meiou High along with her bestfriend, Shuichi.

Ah yes, Shuichi, although he became a great substitute, Rosette can never deny the fact that Kurama was a great loss. Back then she would always cry and look for her fox friend, missing him. Almost everyday, she would cry to Shuichi and ask him if he knows where Kurama went. It took some time and a lot of crying to be able to move on but, up until now she never forgot about Kurama. She doesn't cry anymore, still, Rosette misses him. After all, what they had was a very unique friendship. On some days, she would still ask Shuichi and wonder about her fox friend. Like today..

" Hey Shuichi.." uttered Rosette to Shuichi who was sitting on the Rooftop's edge, back against the railings and his right leg over the other, enjoying his lunch, chopsticks in his right hand.

" What if I took Kurama in and made him our pet, do you think he'd still run away? I mean, do you think he'd still rather go somewhere else than stay?" asked Rosette who was sitting 2 armlength away from her bestfriend.

" Naturally, a fox is part of the wild Rosette, whether you took him in or not, I still think he'd rather be somewhere else or he'd still prefer to be-"

" Free?" Rosette cut of Shuichi's sentence, looking directly at his emerald eyes with a little sadness.

" Indeed." Shuichi answered, his facial features, showing concern to his female friend.

" It's not like I'll cage him Shuichi."

" It's not very wise to cage a wild life Rosette, not a nice thing to do either. Have you no mercy?" he said with a playful voice, the side of his lips turned slightly upward and his brows raised, teasing her.

" Oh, shut up smarty pants." Rosette pushed him very lightly only for him to look at her smugly, raising his shoulders with a little hum. Then an idea popped in his head.

" Would you like to pay Kurama's sanctuary a visit later today? You cannot deny, you really miss him." offered Shuichi, who just finished cleaning up his bento box. Offering Rosette a hand to take.

" Absolutely! You're the best Shuichi!" Rosette smiled brightly and took his hand, Shuichi ending up using some of his strength to pull her up from her sitting position. Rosette gave her best friend a hug, one that ends the moment it started but, it was still able to warm Shuichi's cheeks. Looking away and hiding his blush, he uttered a quiet " shall we?" smiling elegantly at her, before walking back to class, side by side.

***********************************************************************************************

Birds were chirping and the sound of the grass crunching under their feet was very relaxing, the smell of fresh air was familiar to both of them and it brings back very fond memories to Rosette, maybe even to Shuichi.

" Not much has changed. Even the scent is the same as before. It's almost as if it just happened yesterday." stated Rosette, sitting down on the same spot where Kurama, her fox friend, used to lay down.

" Certain scents does trigger memories, making you feel nostalgia in the process." standing beside her, he leaned on the tree behind them, bringing both of his hands inside his pockets.

" Do you think he'll comeback one day? He's my first friend and the only pet I ever had."

" Pet huh" he chuckled slightly.
" I can only imagine.." Shuichi said, as if he found the word "pet" entertaining, amusement evident in his voice before continuing..

" Maybe he will, I'd be surprised if he forgot about you. I doubt he ever will. I'm sure you were very dear to him as well."

" I wish, I'd like to see Mr. Fox again. I really do miss him." she hugged her legs and rested her head on top of her knees.

" That you do" he then kneeled beside her, facing her direction, he suddenly pulled a red rose from behind his head, offering it to her.

" You know Shuichi, I always wonder how you do that, do you have, like, a bag of roses behind you, or you're hiding something under your hair?" She questioned him, her hand reaching the back of his neck, searching for some tricks.

" That's a secret I'd rather not say. It would be wise if you just keep that thought to yourself. The answer might surprise you." He said smiling at her but, a mysterious tone laced his voice.

" Really? I would be surprised if that's pure magic, Minamino." Emphasizing his last name with a playful tone, the only reply she got was a kind and graceful smile from him before Rosette accepted the rose.

A few minutes of comfortable silence with Rosette just staring at the rose, wondering as to why the rose looked fresh, almost as if in its prime.

' If it was some trick, surely the edges of this rose would've darkened a little bit' she thought to herself.

" Was I not a very good substitute Mitzkuni?" Shuichi, who suddenly said that caught her by surprise. A look of shock was written all over her face as she turned to face Shuichi and look at him dead in the eye. Him, who looked like he's looking for an honest answer.

" No, of course not, you're very special to me and I'm glad you came into my life, otherwise, I might've have had a sad childhood. You helped me when I was sad and crying about Mr. Fox. So really, thank you Shuichi."

Shock was evident on Shuichi's face with the answer Rosette provided. He wasn't expecting such an answer, which caught him off guard.

Clearing his throat, he replied a 'you're welcome' to her with a warm smile.

" On that note, thank you for bringing me here again." She smiled brightly.

" My pleasure. It's nice to be back here once in a while. Although, the sun is already setting. Shall we call it a day? I'll escort you home, it's only natural for me to take care of you and bring you back safely, it's getting dark and I don't think the streets around here are safe." He said standing up and offering his hand once more.

" Let's! Thanks Shuichi."

Walking side by side with her hands hooked around his arms, like a princess being escorted by a prince.