[Chapter 8]

The Beast Is 1067 Miles From New Marais

"Alright," Cole huffs, glancing at his hands in surprise. "Now that I know I can summon a storm from my hands, whatcha got for me, Zeke?"

"Come on back, I just got good news," Zeke replied, then hesitated. "That, and I met your pal from the swamp. She disappeared and now she's here again...confusing."

Zeke cut from the call and Cole walked back to the building. He hadn't gone very far to test his new power.

Once on the roof, Cole spotted Zeke on the couch, Nix standing a few feet away, and Y/n-
"Where'd Y/n go?"

"Oh, man, she left about ten minutes before you woke up. No questions, just up and left."

Nix chuckles and glances off the edge of the building. "Man, watch your words... she's not far."

Cole and Zeke share an uneasy glance.

Zeke clears his throat and cuts through the silence. "Ahem. Well, I tell you guys, spying on the militia, man, it's taken years off my life, but boy is it worth it."

Cole recognizes the look of pride that spreads over Zeke's face. "Oh-ho-ho, you found out where they're keeping Kuo." Cole rests against a nearby barrel.

"Bertrand's got all his veterans protecting an old cane plantation. Word is, they got serious "deviants" caged up in there," Zeke explains.

Ni looks off to the side in thought.
"That's the place with the street car, yeah?"

"That's the one." Zeke nods.

Nix gives herself a second to think. She points a jeweled finger at Cole. "I got an idea: we fill the streetcar with explosives and get it going real fast. We ram it through the front doors and boom."

Nix can picture Y/n's eyebrows furrowing in disagreement.

"Fire with make a good diversion," Cole agrees.

"It'll also burn everyone trapped inside," a familiar voice says and everyone jumps at Y/n's abrupt appearance.

Zeke flinches in surprise, then acknowledges her words. "She's right, man."

Cole sighs at his friend and the girl. "Come on, Zeke. I mean, if we do this thing with any sort of precision, we're gonna need a much bigger team."

Zeke turns away to think, putting a hand to him temple.
Cole gives Y/n a glance at the same time Nix shakes her head at the girl.
Y/n doesn't pay attention to either of them.

"Militia's been parading around cages full of cops," Zeke says after a beat of silence. "These guys used to fight against them."

Cole turns to his friend, interest peaked. "You figure we could break them out, give 'em guns?"

Nix raises her hands in offense, ignoring the look of pleading Y/n gives her. "Wait, wait, wait. Free cops? No, no. If we do that, I'm out."

"Think about it, Cole. Putting ex-cops back on the street could help us in the long run," Zeke interjects.

Y/n opens her mouth to agree, but Nix cuts her off with a growl. "Screw that, man!"

"Don't you want to see that place burn, baby," Nix asks Cole, using her voice to her advantage, lowering it seductively.

Y/n rolls her eyes, knowing to resist her friend's tempting antics. "Yeah, with everyone in it, Nix," she sneers softly.

She, and the others, watch Nix disappear in a smoke screen.

When Cole turns to Zeke, all he gets is a wilted shrug. "Whatever," Zeke mumbles. "It's your call."

Cole then glances at Y/n, who's eyes are locked into the spot where Nix previously stood.
He couldn't help but want to take the bender's side.

"Y/n," he tried, but she waved him off and disappeared within the minute.

With the three people out of his way, he felt the stress build up on him and let out a huff, running a hand over his face.

His phone rang twice.
Upon checking it, he read the two texts; coordinates from Nix, and another from Zeke.

"Damnit, he groaned to himself and memorized the more important one.