Chapter Three

Big Mamma would sit in her chair on her front porch an think about all the things that happened in her life and thankfull for getting through all the trails and tribulations that she went through. Even though the things happened to her and other Blacks she managed to survice through the most difficulty times in history.

She make sure that her family was not brought up the way she was. She wanted to make sure her children was treated the same as everyone else. This world we lived in is a white man's world and she wanted her family to know no matter what color you are we all are created equal.

Blacks were always considered as second class citizens. We couldn't do nothing we wanted without the man telling us we couldn't do it because our skin.

Later on that day....

As the day go on the rest of the family decided to come on by big mamma. At this point Jane was still curious on some things about big mamma past.

Big Mamma have you ever try to have a better life from what you had? Said Jane. Yes, I did but things was different back then and life was totally different during that time. It was hard for blacks to have a normal life. I struggle my whole life to get where I want to be. But I guess during that period of time it wasn't my time. Big mamma had replied.

What would you have done if you could change back the hands of the time? What are some things you wish you could do again if you the chance? Jane ask her great grandma.

The first thing I would have done was gone to school so I can learn how to read and write and get my education. Big Mamma had said. I always wanted to know how it feels to have my education. Now I know I can be a even bigger person if I went to school. Nowadays blacks still have to struggle to get where they want in life. Big Mamma also added.

What about getting a private tutor big mamma so you can learn how to read and write. The tutor can come two or three times a week to help. Maybe even one of those professors down at one of the black university can come. Would that be good?, said Jane.Jane was excited as ideas came to her head as she think of ways to help her great grandma to read and write. That would be good but what professor would come teach a old women who is nearly 100 years old how to read and write? There are some good people out here in the world that would help. Just think about it her oldest daughter told her. As the conversation went on big mamma had second thoughts about the private tutor. Maybe things would work out for her with the private tutor. Maybe it's not to late to prove to herself, her family, and the rest of the world that it's not to late to get your education.