Chapter 1: Jing

Jing^^^

I messaged my temples and sighed deeply, leaning against the wall next to my floor to ceiling windows, looking out into the forest. After two hours of a mandatory therapy session between Mates I was ready to escape from my office and into the woods. I really just wanted to shift, climb onto one of the perches I had set up around my land and laze about for a bit.

The gentle tap of knuckles on my open door brought me back to reality.

"How did it go Dr. Owens?" The soft but firm voice of my personal assistant Traci filled the quiet of my office.

"As well as can be expected from a Fury and a Harpy I suppose. They made slight progress and I gave them the emergency number incase they need it. We don't need them destroying another restaurant."

"Indeed. The Council might not be so lenient next time."

I chuckled, as the only licensed Physiatrist and Mediator in West Mountain I had my hands full. Between my regular patients, ones sent to me for assessment and my duties as a member of the towns governing Council of Fae, I had limited time to myself.

Must be why I'm on edge lately, I hadn't shifted in weeks.

Pushing away from the window I move to sit at my desk. I get a good look at Traci and notice she was more dressed up that usual. Instead of a simple blouse, skirt and cardigan, she was in a tight black dress that accented her petite figure and blended in with her naturally dark skin tone. A pair of red high heels added a bright accent of color. Her dark black hair was loose and tight natural curls framed her face. She tapped on her tablet for a moment but slowly looked up when she noticed my silence.

I quirked an eyebrow at her when her eyes met mine and couldnt help but mentally smirk at the faintest blush that was barely visible on her checks.

"You're looking very posh today Traci? Big plans?"

"Ah, yes sir. It's my anniversary tonight and Rob is taking me to the new restaurant the Lion Pride opened. He's picking me up soon actually."

Traci and her Mate Rob had been together for nearly 10 years now. Like many of the couples in West Mountain they were two different species of Fae and had moved to the Safe Haven town to escape inter-species prejudice and violence.

"Your last appointment cancelled by the way, he promised to reschedule."

"Again?" This patient was proving to be one of my more difficult cases. His therapy wasn't mandated but he needed it after everything he has been through. He was reluctant to come and frequently cancelled, only showing up to one out of every three or four scheduled times. He'd always reschedule, then cancel again.

"Hopefully he will follow through. At least I have some extra time." I smile slightly at Traci, the usual polite and practiced smile that showed no emotions, "Enjoy your evening with Rob, how about you take tomorrow off as well. I can manage a day without you."

She beams at me then, "Thank you sir. Dont work too late."

She starts to walk from the office but stops abruptly with a little Oh. She turns back.

"I almost forgot. Alpha Cecilia called, she said she would be at her shop for the next few hours if you wanted to drop the bike off."

"Thank you, Traci. Now get going, you dont want to keep Rob waiting." I shoo her from my office, a bubble of excitement growing in my chest. I had finished restoring a classic Harley for the Alpha a few days ago. I was anxious to see her reaction, plus if I rode the bike there I could shift and walk back, it was only a mile or so away.

Win-Win.

After spending some time typing up my notes on my last few patients and updating their files I shut down my computer and lock up my office. I walk up the stairs at the back of the reception area that go directly into the main room of my apartment.

I had my house built after my first year in town, I was tired of renting an apartment and having a separate office space, so I had a nice two-story house built on the edge of town with an attached garage. After two years it was still a great choice.

The first story was set up like a normal office, one room for the reception area and Tracis desk and my office. The second floor was my personal open concept apartment with a lofted bedroom. Built perfectly to fit my needs. There was a separate room that I sometimes used as an office. Just like downstairs I had large floor to ceiling windows at looked out over the forest covered mountains. I had asked for a design that felt open and airy, not like a box and it was perfect.

After a quick shower, I pull on some casual clothes and head to my garage. It wasnt overly large, but there was enough room for one vehicle, a few bikes and a nice sized workspace. Grabbing the key I needed, I went over to the bike I had spent all my free time on lately.

"Hello beautiful," I whisper, running my hands along the smooth clean lines of the classic bike. "It's time to take you to your new home. I know they are going to take good care of you."

Swinging a leg over the bike I back it out of the garage and slide my shades and gloves on. I smirk as the engine starts with a deep throaty purr. Nothing wrong with taking her for one last ride, make sure she's perfect before dropping her off, its completely selfless, I swear.

Revving the engine slightly I release the choke and take off, determined to take the long way to the Alphas shop.