do you love me • denki

SYNOPSIS sometimes opposites don't always attract
WORD COUNT 0.5k
WARNINGS this is a sucky drabble because i'm going through some serious writers block, not edited, and angst

ฺ。*:・

Kaminari loved you.

From your personality, to your laugh, he loved everything about you. Even if you guys were visibly very different, he didn't mind at all. It's what drew him in. The fact that you were a complete contrast of him intrigued him.

But even with all that, Kaminari knew there was something off.

Not with him, not with the relationship, but with you. He loved you but could you say the same? You said you did. Yet Kaminari always had this underlying feeling that that wasn't the truth.

And he was determined to find out. With hope, he visited you in the kitchen.

"Do you love me?" Those four words had you at a stand still. The dishes you were washing clattering into the sink, at the moment your heart fell into your stomach.

There was silence before your head whipped around to met the unusually dim eyes of your boyfriend. Kaminari leaned against the threshold of your kitchen, a neutral look on his face.

"What?" Was the first thing you could say, it came out softer than expected but it still reached Kaminari just as well.

Kaminari sighed, eyes flickering down to the tile for a moment. "I asked do you love me?" You don't know why you expected his eyes to suddenly have that bright light like they normally do when you two caught gazed again, but you were let down.

He still held that indecipherable emotion in his eyes and he reiterated. "Do you?"

"How could I not... Kaminari?" Your tone was a mix of hurt and confusion.

"You just— It's like your heart hasn't been in it, ___. So, I'll ask again, do you love me?" Kaminari edged closer to you, leeching to the island.

"I—" You stammered. Why were you stammering? You loved Kaminari. You've always loved Kaminari. His laugh, his smile, his humor, everything about Kaminari you loved. So, why did it feel wrong to say those words?

As you stalled, the slither of hope inside Kaminari crumbled. He wanted you to say those words, finally. But as he watched your eyes focus on everything but him while your gears worked harder and harder to give him an answer, he knew.

You inhaled deeply, swallowing thick. "I love you, Kaminari..."

Kaminari nearly winced as your words trailed off. His attention averted to the tile of the kitchen again, hoping it'd distract him from the slick feeling in his throat.

"But I don't love you the way you want me to. Not in the way you love me..." It felt like a weight had been lifted off of your shoulders. You didn't even know that had been bothering you. You had convinced yourself your love for Kaminari ran deep, but it didn't.

"Right."

"I'm sorry, Kaminari." You whispered. There it was, that smile. But there was no feeling, no light. That hurt more than the one he wore just seconds ago.

Kaminari shook his head, trying to reassure you. "It's fine. We were too different anyways, right?" That was all he said before he turned on his heels and vanished from your sight.

Your hands smacked your face out of frustration, You didn't love Kaminari.

FIN.