Sixteen

Regulus sat in his dormitory. It was entirely empty besides Evan. They both sat on their beds, elbows resting on their knees, chins resting on their palms.

"Are you afraid, mate?" Evan asked Regulus, breaking the silence.

"A bit," Regulus replied. "The term will be over soon. We'll have no choice."

"We'll be making a difference for the better." Evan reminded him.

"I know, I understand that... but I'm afraid that she won't."

-

Raina sat in the Slytherin common room with Severus, who had told her he wanted to speak with her. Raina, of course, accepted, and sat down with him, though Severus looked rather nervous.

"I have some news, and I want you to stay open minded about it because, you aren't your brother, and... I'm only hoping that you'll understand."

Raina let out a chuckle. "Whatever it is, Severus, I'm sure it isn't that bad."

"Please don't hate me after this." He shakily said. Raina lifted an eyebrow in confusion. What could be so bad?

"Okay.." She said unsurley.

Severus took a deep breath, and grasped his left sleeve. Raina watched in confusion, as he pulled up his sleeve, revealing a tattoo of a skull, a snake curled and slithering out of it.

Her breath hitched. "Severus..."

"Raina-"

"Severus what the hell is that?" She demanded, standing up. But she knew what it was. She knew exactly what it was.

"I'm sorry its just-"

"How could you?!" She cried, tears filling her eyes.

"He has good intentions-"

"He kills people! He's recruiting people to kill! Severus! You're not even a pure blood! H-he could kill your father! He could kill your mother for marrying a muggle!"

"Raina, it's better this way. There's mudbloods everywhere."

"You're in love with a mudblood! For the love of Godric, Severus! What were you thinking!?"

Severus stayed quiet, his jaw clenched. He said nothing more. He stood up and walked away.

"Where are you going?" She demanded, but he didn't answer. He made his way up to the boys dormitory, leaving Raina in tears.

Severus opened to fifth year boys dormitory door. Evan and Regulus' heads shot up.

"Well?" Regulus asked impatiently.

"She didn't take it well."

Regulus' face fell. He stared into space, thinking of the pain of losing Raina forever.

"Mate?" Evan asked Regulus. "She'll come around."

"No she won't." He shook his head.

"How do you know?" Severus spoke up.

"Because," He said, slowly licking his lips.

"Raina's a good person."

-

O.W.L examinations had just ended, and Raina was sure that she had done fairly good, and now, she was in the kitchen with Regulus, nicking snacks as a celebration of not having to worry about them anymore.

Meanwhile, the Gryffindor boys dormitories, James paced around angrily.

"Can you believe that disgusting grease trap? Calling Evans that-that word! And how could she say those things about me? Just as bad as him? It's ridiculous! "

"Prongs, mate, she'll come around." Remus told his distressed friend.

"Padfoot, what do you think of all of this?" James asked Sirius, who was in his own world.

"Huh? Oh, yeah, she doesn't know what she's talking about."

"What's up with you?" James asked him, noticing that he had been more out of focus that day.

Sirius wasn't even thinking straight enough to put on a filter, as he stated, "Why does Raina hate me?"

The three boys stared at him, none of them knowing how to respond to this.

"Raina?" Remus asked. "Why do you care what Raina thinks about you? Weren't you the one who said just a few months ago that it doesn't matter if she hates us or not. She's not a Marauder."

Sirius continued to stare into space. "She's just so confusing. One minuet we're fine, and the next, it's like she hates me all over again. What did I do to deserve this?"

"Padfoot, mate, I'm just not sure I'm grasping onto what you're saying." James said. "Why should it matter what Raina thinks about you?"

"Why shouldn't it?" Sirius asked, finally looking up to meet James' eyes. "Why don't you care? She is your sister after all."

"Raina loves me, and I love her." James stated firmly. "Just because we bump heads every now and then, doesn't mean I don't love her. We only argue because she doesn't know what's good for her."

"Why are we all of a sudden talking about Raina? I thought we were talking about Lily." Peter spoke up, but was immediately shut down.

"Quiet, Wormtail." Sirius told him, causing Peter to look down, as Remus patted a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"Look, Padfoot, I don't know why you care about what my sister thinks about you, but that's all she is. My sister. Now for the love of Godric can we please talk about why Evans hates me so much?"

Sirius didn't respond as James went back to pacing and ranting about Lily and Severus once again, leaving Sirius to think about his best friends sister.

And that's all she was.

His best friends sister.