What I Want

The Majesties, Claude, and Samuel gathered into the royal library.

Claude's P.O.V.

This is awkward... Who would've thought that we would all be gathered here like this? And my parents talked about the matter with Samuel beforehand? How is that fair?

Okay, now I sound like a little brat. I'll just keep my mouth shut and hear what they have to say.

There is a large circular table in the middle of the library, and there's a small rectangular table with a couch attached to the wall and two chairs surrounding the table.

We all take a seat from the circular table. Going clockwise, my father. On his left is my mother. Then me and Samuel.

There are two chairs left over at the table. One between my mother and I, and the other one is between my father and Samuel.

My father clasps his hands together and places them in front of him on the table. "As we all know, Claude is 23 years old. At this age, many royals are engaged or married."

My mother slowly nods as if she's not entirely agreeing with my father.

"What does that have to do with the important matter, Father?" I ask. Surely they're not going to marry me off to some kingdom... right?

"You see, son. Since the day you told us about... that, we decided it would be best to have you engaged to the duchess of Qolia," my mother says. She looks a bit worried about my opinion on this subject.

"I cannot say that I completely understand, Mother. Father, is this true? Surely you both understood what I was talking to you about that day." My voice starts to tremble. They can't be forcing me into a relationship knowing that I have feelings for a man... That's just wrong.

"Yes, Claude. We have offered Duchess Jane your hand in marriage. There should be no complaints about this. The duchess is also 23, so there's no problem with age difference," my father says. "There's no need to panic, son. We've only invited her over to our kingdom to see if she likes it or not. She'll also decide to be engaged to you. If she agrees to take your hand in marriage, then you will be able to rule both the Astorewen Kingdom and the Qolia Empire. Imagine how great that would be!"

My eyes go wide. How can they think about all this and just dump it on me like that? Father is basically offering her Astorewen through a marriage...

"Mother, you know you can't do this," I plead to her.

My mother looks down at her lap. "I'm sorry, Claude. It's already been decided by your father, and Duchess Jane is arriving in two days." She raises her head back up and looks at me with sadness.

In two days... This isn't fair. This is last minute. How am I supposed to get ready? I know nothing about the Qolia Empire. They can't do this to me.

I look over at Samuel, wondering what would happen to our relationship if I got engaged to the duchess. Would I still be able to see him? I can't bear to be away from him. He's been by my side for as long as I can remember... He can't just leave me..

I look at my father. Filled with anger and despair I say, "Father. If this is because of what I told you and Mother, you should stop it."

My father looks at me angrily. "Why should I? This is partially because of that conversation. You will marry the duchess no matter what. I'll make sure she agrees."

Blood rushes to my head. I am no longer able to control my anger. I stand up and slam my hands onto the table. "You know you can't stop my feelings, Father! Do you really think a marriage will stop it?" I yell.