chapter one

Holy crap, Bree! This is it!" Becks says, taking a giddy step forward. She hands our ID's to the bouncer, groaning to herself when she spots Luca waiting for us by the door. "Remind me again, why you let the goody-goody come?" she asks, her short, auburn curls brushing the top of her shoulders as the wind picks up.

"Be nice," I tell her, hoping that for once she'll listen to me. Luca's the only reason I did show up.

Aside from the fact that this place is in the wrong part of town, everything about being here screams trouble. The old Denton cotton mill transformed into Haze, the shiny new nightclub all of campus is talking about.

Forget the gangs I know that patrol every corner, and the mass hysteria that seems to go hand in hand with any college hot spot. They aren't what has me on edge tonight. My father is. He would kill me if he knew I let Becks talk me into ditching my study group. Especially if he finds out where we are.

Cops make the worst parents.

Well, Detectives, in my case. You can never lie to them. So, on the off chance we are caught, Luca's my get out of jail free card. My father loves him. He tolerates Becks.

"You're all set," the bouncer interjects, finally feeling satisfied with our ID's. He hands them back to Becks, then stamps each of our hands in bright blue ink. The word: "UNDERAGE" in bold. "You look like you're out to have some fun tonight. You sure you wouldn't rather stay out here with me, beautiful?" he asks, his voice sounding as if someone took sandpaper to his vocal cords.

He leans into where I'm standing and smiles, my nostrils instantly burning as the small barrier his gum held lifts and the smell of stale smoke quickly overwhelms the space around us. I tuck a strand of my dirty blonde hair back behind my ear and roll my eyes at the bouncer, who's a little too comfortable invading my personal space.

"I . . . um," I start to say, when I feel Luca's arm slip around my lower back. The soft material of my blouse pulls along the center under the weight of his grip.

"She's all good, man, but thanks." He smiles politely, gently guiding Becks and me through the aluminum doors.

I turn in time to see his brow furrow as he examines my outfit. The soft blue of his eyes is paler under the harsh glare of the entry hall lights.

Here we go.

I know that look. He hates it. I knew he would. The ivory blouse and silver sequined skirt, which Becks made me wear, barely reaches the top of my thighs. Hell, even I hate the idea of showing this much skin.

"Just say it," I tell him.

"No. No, it's just. . . y- you look. . . I—" A playful smirk presses his lips as he crosses his arms in front of him. "Look, you're beautiful, Bree. I just think that next time you might remind Becks that she doesn't need to be so good at dressing you. I feel like I need to give you my coat."

"God. . . you're such a cliché, Luca. Brielle looks hot! Besides, all the naughty bits are covered!" Becks yells as she reaches back to grab my arm. I wriggle under her grip as she drags me behind her to an empty area nestled between the bar and the restrooms.

Inside the club, everything is alive with the color blue. The solid LED bar top that's off to our right, which pulses between a mix of ice blue and a darker, midnight color. Even the light display playing over the dance floor is blue. I look at Luca, trying to gauge his reaction when I see the mammoth of brick walls, behind him. My eyes follow the wall, all the way to the top, trying to assess its height, when I see two extended levels of the club.

Holy crap.

This place is huge.

"Whoa. Hello, Haze." Becks lets out a laugh. She sweeps her eyes around the room as tightly packed bodies of college students, dance in groups along the floor. She wrinkles her brow down at her beige-colored dress and gently pats her lower region. "Looks like mama's getting a new plaything tonight."