Expect the Unexpected

Isabella grumbled and folded her arms as they filed toward the screening room. The door opened quietly though it looked like the type of door that would moan like a dying cow in a horror film.  They slipped down a short dark corridor then pushed through a set of dark heavy curtains. The room, fashioned after an old movie palace, reminded her of the theater at the Foxworthy, but it was about an eighth of the size and about ten times gloomier. 

Each of Dago’s captives took their places in the velvet chairs facing the screen.  The guide left them alone to put the movie on.  Seth nudged Isabella the instant he was gone. Before they garnered the guts to try and sneak away, the title of the film flickered onto the screen: Lily Field starring Sinclair Worthy and Renee Fox. 

Isabella gasped.  “I thought it was…”

“Disintegrated,” finished Seth.

“Yeah.”

Xander, who was two seats down, leaned forward quickly to look at Isabella, his eyes were wide and he was pointing at the screen like he’d just spotted a UFO landing on the roof of the hotel.

Isabella shrugged.

“Whoa,” was the last thing he said before sliding down into his seat and enjoying the picture.  It was the story of a young girl whose parents died and was forced to live alone on a homestead called Lily Field. Naturally, there was a love story component to it as well.

Halfway through the movie, Seth poked Isabella. “Do you want to give it a shot still?”

Isabella’s eyes were glued to the screen.  “Huh? No. I mean, yes. We have to.”

“Should we go now?”  

Isabella looked up at the screen.  She’d always wanted to see this film and never thought she’d get the chance. It was her legacy. But not more than the Foxworthy Hotel.  “Okay. Let’s go.” Isabella leaned over to whisper in Cleo’s ear, “Gonna go look for snacks.”

“There aren’t any down here," she whispered back.

“I saw a cart in that little section by the door.”

“Okay. Get me a lemonade or a diet coke.”

They stood up, but Cleo stopped them.

“What about them?” she asked, nodding her head toward Xander and Micah.

Isabella and Seth shared glances. “They can get their own.”  With that, the two of them scurried to the back of the screening room. However, just as Seth pulled the door open a small wave rolled beneath their feet. “Did you feel that?” It happened again, this time the wave felt like a boulder. 

“EARTHQUAKE!” shouted Xander.

Cleo screamed. Thud. A body crumpled to the floor.

“Micah! Help me get him up, Xander,” Cleo said, pulling Micah, who had fallen to his knees to hide beneath the seats. "You can't stay there."

Micah didn't respond, but Xander managed to pull him out. Cleo raised her hand back to slap to likely snap him out of panic when Seth darted down to help them. By that time, Micah had regained his wits and like a colt lumbered to his feet. 

“We’re underground,” Micah said, breathing shallow. Isabella could feel his momentarily repressed panic rising again as her four companions neared the protective overhang where she stood.

“We’ll be fine under here,” she tried reassuring him.  When Seth moved beside her, a sense of calm washed over her. It was almost as if something inside of him was working to keep them all relaxed, but that made no sense. A violet stroke of light cracked across the room. "What was that?"