Hook, Line, and Sinker

"Pass."

Jisoo has already lost count of all the times she's said that word this winter break alone whenever Jennie tries to ask her to go to whoever's party but here she is again with another unwanted invitation.

"How many times do I have to reject you before you get that there's no point in asking me anymore?"

"C'mon, Jisoo! We're already sophomores and you've been yet to at least one party," Jennie tries to make a point as she sits on her own bed, facing her roommate. "You've been locked in here since winter break started! And it's New Year's Eve, for god's sake! Do you really wanna spend it like this?"

"Absolutely," Jisoo answers quickly and with finality then goes back to the novel in her hand. "It can't be more perfect than this."

And that isn't a lie. That is how Jisoo would rather spend her nights— comfortable in her pajamas, tucked in her soft, soft comforter, and lost in a good book with good music playing in her ears— New Year's Eve or not. And what Jennie offers as an alternative is to deal with dumb college kids and their dumb noise and their dumb everything. And that's just... no. It's a solid, hard no.

Jennie groans in frustration. "Here's the thing. I told you there's this girl I like, right? I saw her last night which means she also didn't go home for the winter break. Her sorority is throwing a party tonight and I promised myself if I see her, I'll talk to her."

"Okay..?" Jisoo drawls as she tries to catch on but ends up furrowing her brows in confusion. "What's that got to do with me?"

"I need you there with me, obviously!"

"Me?" Jisoo snorts in disbelief. "No, you don't. I make a terrible wingman."

"I don't need a wingman! I can approach girls just fine. But I want my best friend to be there as... ugh, I don't know—" Through her peripheral, Jisoo sees Jennie flailing her arms in the air as she finds the words. "—moral support?"

"Pass," Jisoo says, bored and uninterested, and then she's suddenly thrown sideways by a pillow that hits her squarely at the side of her head. "What the—"

Jisoo slams her book shut, glaring Jennie who couldn't look more unapologetic. "What the hell is your problem?!"

"My problem is you're being a lousy friend right now. Even worse than you as a wingman!"

Lousy..? Jennie would usually just leave her alone and not guilt trip her like this. Jisoo draws in a long breath, then heaves a heavy sigh, placing her book on her bedside table.

"Okay, level with me. Why are you really asking me? You've never been this pushy before."

"Because it's New Year's Eve, Jisoo!"

"Shut up about New Year's already!" Jisoo exclaims in exasperation, pressing her fist on her forehead. "You keep saying that as if it explains anything. It does not! It's just a normal night to me!"

"I know but it means something to me and if ever it doesn't work out with her, at least I still get to spend New Year's Eve with someone important to me."

"So, I'm like your back up?"

The younger girl nods shamelessly and Jisoo huffs a genuine laugh. If it's really that important to Jennie then... she relents (not without a sigh, of course).

"Okay, fine, but what's in it for me?"

"For real?" Jennie grunts. "You're asking something in return for helping your best friend out?"