Chapter 17

As soon as we passed the palace guards, my uncle took the lead and led us to the party room. His back was straight, and his head was held back, and he exuded confidence, a confidence that I could never muster.

This confidence made people obey and respect him, which led him to be a great leader and a great king.

Julian squeezed my arm before he let go of me. They moved to the front, behind their father, and looked just as confident as their father.

Xavier was about to let go of my hand but stopped when I squeezed his hand tightly. He looked at me from the corner of his eye, but I didn't meet his gaze while we walked.

My whole body was tense, and I was nervous. I knew some of the people that would be there, and I knew that there would be people who wouldn't be on their best behavior if my uncle wasn't there.

Xavier squeezed my hand once and looked forward. He didn't try to take his hand from mine, and I was grateful. He was silent while we walked, and I was g pad because it meant that I could prepare myself for what was to come.

Once we reached the double doors, my grip on Xavier's hand tightened, and I was surprised that he had not complained once.

'Release your death grip on his hand,' Commander said from somewhere to my right. 'They will respect you even if your uncle isn't there.'

I released a breathless chuckle and relaxed my grip on Xavier's hand. 'I have been gone a year, Commander. I don't think they'll like me back.'

'Some won't,' my uncle confirmed. 'Not everyone knows not to say a word, especially since I will allow you to... bash some heads in if they get too pushy and vocal.'

I looked at my uncle with wide eyes, and a small grin appeared on my face before it turned into a suspicious look. 'Give me your word that you won't punish me for it,' I said.

My uncle turned to look at me and raised an eyebrow. Amusement filled his eyes before he slowly nodded. 'Do you want me to do it in front of him?' he asked, glancing at Xavier before he looked at me.

'He knows that we can talk like this,' I said and glanced at Xavier from the corner of my eye.

My uncle grunted and turned towards us, and my brothers stopped and moved out of his way so that he could see me.

I stopped and pulled Xavier to a stop, staying silent. I could feel my group watching us and knew that they would intervene if anything were deemed unsafe, even though neither Xavier nor I were a threat to the king.

The king held up his hand and made a fist. His gaze never left mine, not even when Xavier shifted from foot to foot.

Staying silent, I squeezed Xavier's hand, knowing full well that he was nervous because he had no idea what my uncle was about to do.

"I give you the Guardsmen oath that I will allow you to bash some heads in if they get too pushy or vocal, and you will not be punished," he said. "However," he gave me a pointed look, and I cringed, "you will not push them into getting pushy or vocal with you; is that understood?"

I bit back a sigh and nodded. "Yes, Your Majesty," I said, ignoring his scowl. "I will not push them into being pushy or vocal with me."

My uncle nodded. "Good," he said, "then let's get going and go there. We have kept them waiting long enough."

And with that, he turned in his heels and walked the rest of the way there with us following him in silence.

***

My grip on Xavier's grew tighter while I felt nervous again. I looked around the room at the people that were gathered, becoming nervous.

'Don't leave,' my uncle warned, and I held back a wince because I had been debating on whether or not I should disappear. 'You brought a guest. You are not leaving him here by himself. Is that understood?'