7

IDK you yet - Alexander 23

The wooden stairs echoed hollowly as I made my way up to my room.

The house was empty except for the sound of my footsteps, the walls wrapping around me into a cold embrace.

Usually my father would have been home by this time, but it seemed that he left once more on a business trip, not bothering to tell me where he was going or how long he would be gone for.

For someone so protective of their child, it seemed as if he couldn't care less to be around me.

Nevertheless, I pushed the thoughts aside and entered into my bedroom.

My window was left open during the day, the curtains now billowing in the evening air that was drifting lazily into the room.

I trudged over to my closet, switching out of my school clothes and into a large white sweater and a pair of silky pajama shorts.

Once I was comfortable, I decided to relax in my bay window as I do most nights.

As I sat down, I leaned my head against the chilling panes of glass, allowing my eyes to shut briefly after the interesting day I've had.

A small pattering brought my attention back from my exhaustion, and I looked to the floor to see a large mass of pure white fur sitting idly by my feet.

"Oh, hi there Lila," I murmured, picking up the cat that rested on the ground, a small meow leaving her mouth as I did so.

I stroked Lila's long fur, allowing her tail to curl around me as she rubbed her face against my arm.

"I know that me being gone all day is an adjustment for both of us," I spoke, petting her absentmindedly as I stared out the window.

"I just hope it's all for the best."

❁  ❁  ❁

Roman

The setting sun left nothing but the biting night air in its wake, making me shrug on a sweatshirt before I left the confines of my bedroom for the night.

The house was eerily quiet, even with my mother in the room directly adjacent to mine.

Making my way to the window, I crawled skillfully out of the one-story house as if I'd done it thousands of times.

Maybe I had.

I left the window open enough for me to sneak back in later, then trekked my way quietly across the yard, not wanting to alert any of the neighbors of what I was up to.

I climbed into my small black car, allowing myself a few moments to silently celebrate my getaway.

Just a few seconds later, my phone began to ring.

I picked up the call right away, knowing exactly who it would be.

"Halian," I greeted unceremoniously.

"You going there again tonight?" He asked, getting straight to the point.

"Yeah, you coming?" I answered back, already able to guess his answer.

"Nah, you know that's not my scene," He responded, just the way I expected him to, "Don't do any dumb shit while I'm not there."