2 - Just another day...

I freaking hated this class. Just 10 more minutes... And I would be out of here. Thank god this was the last one. My eyelids were so heavy that I felt like falling asleep everytime I blinked. I tried to focus. What were we even learning about...? 

Just then, our teacher, Mr Smith called my name. 

"Rita Scarlett, Please stand up." Great. I stood up, and he immediately asked me a question. 

"What is the name of the process by which magic from runes is used?" 

"Uh..." 

I tried my best to remember, but nothing came up. So I decided to make a wild guess. The people who specialised in runes were called runemages.

"It's Runemagation, sir," I blurted out. I regretted it as soon as I said it. Really, how did I make up these words?

The students around me sniggered at my answer, and it's confirmed that it's wrong. Mr.Smith looked at me disapprovingly. 

"Please come to my office after school, Rita." 

Just what I needed. Lily would be waiting, and I really didn't need another lecture now...

"As for the rest of the class, you can have the last 5 minutes free." He walked out of the class. 

As soon as he was out of earshot , Amy mimicked me,

"It's Runemagation, sir." Everyone laughed. 

"C'mon, Amy, it's not like she can help it. She's a healer, of course she'd be dumb!" Someone said. Pretty soon everyone had something to say. 

"Leave her alone, dude. It's not like a low class healer like her is ever going to be a runemage."

"What's the purpose of healers even coming here when they're so dumb?"

"She's so weak, too."

In my planet Galaxia, where everyone had powers healers were considered useless.

But it wasn't always like this. A couple of decades ago healers were actually respected because they were so essential to society, and rare too. They made up about 5% of the population. Rich and powerful people hired them and gave them protection and huge sums of money in return for healing them.They saved lives, were seen as saviours.

But then a new kind of magical plant called Terra was discovered. It could heal many times more effectively and faster than healers. It was really cheap,too as it grew abundant and fast. It quickly became the bane of healers. 

One by one, healers were discarded like used toys. Everyone switched to Terra. You can't really blame them. When something better than the current thing comes along, people move on to the new thing. That's just human nature. Healers had no use, no purpose to their lives. 

Jobless, defenseless, healers became easy targets. They sank to the bottom of the social rung. Some of them, exceptionally talented, worked at hospitals. But people preferred Terra. Healers could make mistakes. Terra couldn't. They saw it as the perfect magical cure.

I couldn't stand 5 more minutes of jeers and insults so I began to walk out of the class. I had barely reached the door when Amy blocked my way. 

"Why are you leaving? We were just joking around...!" She smiled innocently, but I could see the rage rising up in her grey eyes.

"Joking around my foot! Move out of my way, Amy." 

"What did you say?"

She punched my stomach.