The chapter

The wolf and the cat sat next to each other. An unlikely match they were, but fate had supposedly thrown them to each other and neither could argue with that. The water was shimmering in the dim moonlight, the reflection of the stars cast down on it. The wolf thought that this was beautiful, the stars he gazed on all night cast down to the earth; the cat managed it, the reflection was to much, an already dizzying array of light duplicated to an unbearable amount.

'To be honest I've never been friends with a cat before' said the wolf.

'And I've never dared go near a wolf.' Said the cat. 'And then this happens, a series of strong wind, me being blown against you, and all of a sudden we are sitting here, together.'

The cat did not know this, in fact she would never know this, but the wolf had loved her for years. The mysterious wind she spoke of which had pushed them against each other had been created by none other than the wolf's friend, eagle, who had simply flapped his wings in the right direction so that the cat could no longer balance and coincidently fell in to the wolf.

Wolf had known that should he just give the cat, her white fur sparkling so beautifully a chance to speak to him she would fall. As she glanced to look up at him now, then followed his gaze out to the water he was pretty sure that he had succeeded. He had made her see him for more than just a Wolf, she was looking at him past the ruffled grey fur, past his breed and reputation, and into the soul he had tried so hard to fix.

They looked at each other. Neither knew what the other was thinking and that destroyed them both. Neither wanted to go to fast, having grown up on the stories of Romeo and Juliet they knew to be careful, but they also knew they were meant for each other.

The cat lent her head against the side of the wolf's, nestled in the warmth. They made their own forever in that moment. It was a forever that stretched the time in each second. They warped the hours simply with their will to stay like that until the end of time. It was a forever that would never be long enough, it was a forever they would try to recreate but would only ever manage something second to this.

They had waited for this forever and they would bask in its glory for the rest of their lives.