1. Demons

00: 00

It's already midnight; broad trees in the distance has stopped swaying, the crickets and birds has stopped whistling—and are now sleeping peacefully in their respective nests, the roaring of the wind and thunder has stopped, instead, the whistling of the breeze against some branches lingers around.

But poor Amelia hasn't stopped worrying for a minute.

Why won't she, you say? All her friends, even her roommate, Naomi had gotten their letters being replied to last night, but hers was...simply a different case.

She felt like her own angels had given up on her too quickly. Everyday was the same thing; stacked letters on her table, her own letters, but no replies or gifts like the others get from theirs.

Was she fat? Ugly? Too much of a talkative? She didn't know, and that's what was eating her up slowly.

She threw off her blanket and started to get up, her legs dangling over the edge of the four-poster bed as she faced the shaded windows. Her hazel eyes wavered as she stared beyond the fluttering curtains, wondering what it'd be like if she could tame the wind and bend it to her free will.

A soft snore from her right side suddenly reminded her that she wasn't alone.

"Naomi," She tapped her shoulder gently, "Naomi? Naomi, wake up."

As a result of the contact, Naomi stirred from her sleep and rubbed her eyes sleepily. Amelia took the chance to whisper lowly in her ears, "I want to go to the gardens, but I don't want to be alone. Want to go with me?" Almost immediately, Naomi slapped away Amelia's hand, thinking it was nothing but a troublesome mosquito and turned to the other side completely.

Amelia's face went sullen, "If anything's going to kill you one day, it's sleep."

"Says the girl that never sleeps at night," Naomi's small voice rang back. Amelia's eyes widened as Naomi propped her elbow against the sheets and turned to her side. "For the seventh time, Amelia:  can't sleep?"

Amelia rolled her eyes. "Maybe some fresh air would do the miracles. As for you, quit sleeping like a dying goose. It honestly scares everything inside of me."

Naomi didn't know if she should find it funny or offensive but nevertheless, she forced a smile and sunk back into the bed.

"I suggest you don't go into the gardens." Naomi frowned and started fondling with her sleeves, "Even though you don't believe it's cursed, I do. I mean, you've almost been killed thrice this week. That's no small coincidence, is it?"

Amelia rolled her eyes at her sudden nonsense. "I fell into the pool, sure that happens to everyone that has a pool."

"And what about the shuddery handprint still printed around your shoulders? Is that even a normal thing?"

"Must have been a stupid child that pushed me then!" Amelia rose her voice a little higher than normal. She couldn't just fathom what Naomi was getting at. Naomi had made it clear that this wouldn't be brought up again but she just broke that promise.

"I'm sorry, I'm just being paranoid again." Naomi smiled apologetically and stared at the ceiling. "Don't go, instead go to sleep. I'm sure everything would be fine by tomorrow."

Everything is not fine and would not be fine. "I can't. And you know that." Amelia gritted through her teeth and sighed.

"Amelia..." Naomi started, "Oh, right! Good morning! Can't believe the moon already left without saying goodbye."

Morning? Was she trying to change the topic now? Amelia simply rose an eyebrow, "It's midnight."

"Shhh, the night's still young, so am I."