One - Shatter

How would you feel if your world came crashing down, in the blink of an eye?

If your soul was rendered to splinters, with merely a few words?

As the doctor walked away, muttering an apology that was lost in the hushed din of the hospital,

I crashed onto a flimsy metallic chair that was stencilled with holes on the back, and with half a leg broken, which wobbled every time I moved.

People hurriedly walked onward.

Nurses wheeled patients to their rooms.

I didn't pay attention to these proceedings. My eyes were unfocused and bleary with globules of water that glimmered in the hollow light coming from the bulbs above, and my hands were incessantly shaking as the news registered into my reeling mind, and the evening seemed so much colder.

Someone next to me was whispering something into my ear, but I could hear nothing, just a faint voice from beside me as I fell prey to shock.

Sh-she was going to die.

Caroline Serenze, the beautiful, quirky, amazing girl I loved, was going to die.

And I did not know what the hell to do.

"Katie, come on, now. She wasn't the right one for you." Caroline said, snuggling closer to me,

whilst wrapping a fluffy blanket around us.

She grabbed a bottle of water and poured out some water in a glass for me to drink, and bringing it close to my lips, she motioned for me to drink it. "Katie, here. Drink this, please?"

I, a messy emotional wreck, was haphazardly positioned on my bed, surrounded with stuff that I hadn't bothered to organize, and was being hugged tightly by my best friend, Caroline Serenze, who was comforting me after my latest mishap of a relationship that had gradually resulted in a quick breakup.

My chest heaved with dry sobs that I couldn't prevent, which was admittedly silly, but Alena had meant a lot to me, and after she had casually thrown our relationship away, I couldn't help regretting everything that happened that I had considered precious between the two of us.

I ignored Carrie bringing up the glass to my mouth and in doing so, pushed it away, causing her to finally get irritated by my tantrum.

"Katherine Deschan West, I command you to stop crying right now!" she retorted, sitting up straight.

I turned my red face, covered with tears and snot and scrunched up grotesquely from all the worry, to face Carrie's stern expression.

"She didn't deserve you, Katie. Who breaks up with someone over a text!? Now stop fussing over this and gather yourself up."

"A-Alright...Carrie. Th-Thank you for being h-here..."

"Who else is going to be there for you? We're best friends, Kate. And after seeing the pile of tissues left after your episodes, no one would even come a mile near you. Honestly, you litter so much when you're sad."

Despite my woeful mood, I blurted out a fit of giggles that made Carrie smile. Slowly getting up, I hugged her back for a quiet moment. And then I stood up and went forward to wipe off all the tears and make myself fit for society. Taking timid steps to the bathroom, I felt the prickly soft strands of the carpet under my feet. The door opened with a click and I found myself staring at the tiny space that the manager called a bathroom.

Avoiding the chipped tiles, I manoeuvred myself to the small basin present at the rightmost corner. Flicking the half rusted tap open, I waited until the water formed a pool in my hands and splashed it over my face at an attempt to remove the grime all over.

Author's Notes

Author's Notes

Hello, potential readers! This is my first novel-writing attempt, and I hope you enjoy it. I started writing this on a fine afternoon when the Sun was scorching and the pallid expanse of education was starting to bore me. This is something that has no visible ending, and I may write whatever comes to mind with no foreseeable extension or climax.

 Forgive the poorly edited logo and lines, I am a simple person who does not have any knowledge of the intricacies of editing.

I am also quite new to Wattpad, so if I miss anything required, please make it known to me by comments, which I think will be visible if readers comment, of course, and at the end of the chapter. You can Direct Message me, they are open if DM options are to avail. Your opinion and criticism would be highly appreciated.