Two - Fragment

I was situated on that hospital chair for what seemed like hours. Flashes of me and her together swept across my mind. When we met. Our first kiss. Us going out. Her reprimanding me for all my shortcomings.

As I sat there, dusk turned to night, and the shimmering stars came out to adorn the sky with their pearly countenance. I was huddled next to Carrie's family, holding my face in my hands, whispering garbled phrases in my state of grief, and my chest was heaving with wet sobs that seemed to never end.

Tears streamed down my face, now freely flowing across my cheeks. My efforts to hold them back were of no consequence. They etched lines of heat into my skin, while I was lost in my whirlwind of a mind, and it felt like a lump of coal was in my throat.

I finally cried myself to sleep that night. The night passed drearily, and I was sunk in dreamless slumber, still thinking of Carrie.

Carrie.

Carrie...

"Kate, we're getting late

"Kate, we're getting late..!" I heard her echo from the other room.

"Yes, just a minute, Carrie!" I dabbed some more White Lilac cream onto my face, and proceeded to apply it over my visage, while simultaneously reaching into my frayed yellow bag for my eyeliner, among the countless other things stashed into it. Finding the thin black stick, I reached to my eyelashes and carefully pressed the tip of it on my lashes, moving it in a curve to successfully create a line of black that made my eyes seem like glistening orbs between curled black cilium.

Carrie walked into my room and I turned around, asking "How do I look?"

She grinned. "You look really good, Kate. Now put everything away and let's go! Lillian must be waiting for us. "

Carrie was dressed in a turquoise cold-shoulder top with highlights of parrot green on the sides. She had worn her curved jade earrings and was carrying a black handbag, resting limply at her side.

I followed her out of the hallway, and into the narrow pathway outside our small apartment.

Reaching again into my bag, I brought out a worn key and inserted it forcefully into the keyhole. Making sure that I had locked the door, I put the key back inside my bag and strolled over to Carrie, who was flicking her arm back and forth toward the street, hoping to hail a cab to take us to work.

"Carrie, what are you doing? Are you trying to get arm spasms?"

With this remark, I strolled forward and whistled loud to a bright yellow cab passing down the path. The cabman abruptly screeched to a halt, and taking a puff at a cigar, he motioned for us to get in.

"That's how you get a cab," I remarked at Carrie, with a smirk on my face.

The sky was flushed with pale grey wisps of clouds, and the pallid sun extended muted light into the world

The sky was flushed with pale grey wisps of clouds, and the pallid sun extended muted light into the world. The city was stirring, and the sounds of the world were emanating from the distant world outside. A world that I had not been a part of for the last few days. In the hospital, staying close to Carrie. Close to ma chérie.

I stood up, my joints cracking, and my body utterly spent. I forced my eyes, bloodshot circles of agony, open. I limped to the clear glass window and stared out at the faint hustle and bustle at this hour of dawn. I spotted billboards coming to life, people tramping across the dusty roads, and shops getting ready for the day.

A few cabs were moving down the road, and a solitary woman was flailing her hands out in a feeble attempt to hail a cab.

A pang of sorrow struck me, remembering what was.

But the corner of my mouth tugged at a slight smile.

Author's Notes

Hey hey hey hey! Chapter Two! That's awesome! 

I know, right! I hope you guys enjoy the chapter, and express your opinions through the Comments section. Again, this is something which has no foreseeable ending, and I'm just writing whatever comes to my mind.

As always, your criticism and opinions and highly appreciated, and DMs are also open.

Even if you don't have anything to say,  a simple expression of your thoughts on reading this chapter will be really helpful in order to improve this in any way, shape or form.