Chapter 1- Death is no Stranger

Music: Train Wreck- James Arthur

Notes:

Book contains mature language!

Italics= thoughts

***

1st January, that's when my fathers funeral is. He died to everyone else, murdered to me; Heart attack to everyone else, shot twice to me- one in the head and one in the heart. First my life flips on me when my mother dies of cancer, on the 9th December 2016, I was 12; Then I'm left all alone. Me and the brutally ugly truth which only I have to carry the weight of on my shoulders, not even known by anyone. The fact that my father was murdered is confidential, just as I am. So yes 2+2=4 and I end up the one who carries the burden of knowing someone wanted my father dead and succeeded in their wishes.

I am alone; I no longer have my mother who used to hold me and comfort me when the storm is too loud and I no longer have my father, my idol who used to check under my bed for monsters, nope, it's just me and death but we all know, death is no stranger to me, this isn't a sob story, no this is my fucking horror story.

***

Sage pov:

Ever since my fathers death a lot has happened. Currently I am breaking my back having to pack up my wonderful apartment in Italy where I used to live a year after my mother passed. Since being the new owner of Nightingale & Co. it requires for me to move back to England, where my headquarters are based and my old home, the mansion where I was raised with both my parents before, well, everything.

At the moment, I am in very vulnerable position, as I'm still new I am more at risk of competing businesses to take advantage of this and much more. Being 17 means I have to have an advisor- Trevor, a nice short man who has been working for my father for nearly 15 years and is/ was very trusted within my family, I also have to finish my schooling and when I am 18 when I can choose whether or not to keep my advisor or not; But for now Trevor has enrolled me in a school called Westfield private in England for where I will start and finish my year 13 of sixth form/senior year, while managing my multi-billion computer manufacturing and designing company, fun.

***

Today, I finally move to England, I will of course miss Milan but I have to do what's necessary; its all I've ever know. Its 10 in the morning and I'm boarding my private jet- in courtesy of my inheritance, for my 2 hour trip to London.

As I now have no known living relatives, in my inheritance I got everything; I'm not complaining about the money, I am extremely grateful for it, but I would give it up in seconds if it meant I would have my family back. Although in reality where that is impossible it does make life without them that lot easier.

Sure I have money but I'm not the type of girl to shove it in peoples face or make someone feel inferior just because they don't have what I do, no, I hate people like that although I know that's all I'm going to be surrounded by in the next year so I'm guess I'm just gonna have to suck it up.

***

While I'm sat staring out the window of the jet a man comes up to me and says "Hello Miss Nightingale, I am Phil and I will be your new bodyguard. Me and Trevor have discussed when I will be around and not, like school to keep up your identity."

"Thank you Phil, and please call me Sage and yes that sounds perfect, lovely meeting you" I reply.

Phil nods his head and moves to sit near the front of the jet. If it does come to a point where I would be in danger without Phil I am very much capable of handling myself. I remember when I was younger, my dad making me take lessons in skills that I may need for my future. The main ones were like self-defence and learning how to read people and more; one of my talents that I exceed at is piano, this however was suggested by my mother as she played herself, that's the whole reason I still play to this day it reminds me and makes me feel more connected to her.

***

As I step off the jet into Gatwick airport Trevor is already there standing, waiting for me. I give a small smile as I see the small man as I walk up to him.

"Hello Sage lovely to see you again"

"Likewise Trevor, how are you?" I ask.

"Great thank you" he says as we begin walking towards my car.

My chauffeur, who's name I later learn is Jeff and will be my permanent chauffeur, opens the door for us as we climb in, me saying a quick "thank you". Phil then also getting in the front along with Jeff as me and Trevor continue our conversation from the back seat.

"Anyways..." Trevor carries on. " You will start Westfield in 1 day, on Monday and will be going under your mothers name as Sage Altena. You are now in year 13 in Sixth Form which you know is equivalent to being a senior."

I nod my head as Trevor talks more about school and other stuff, taking it all in and realising its all real.

"Ok I think I've got it, thank you." I reply when I understand. We travel the rest of the way to my house in silence as my nervousness increases each mile closer we get until we are finally parked outside.

***

Sage's Mansion/Childhood home:

Authors Note:

Authors Note:

So I'm English and I'm not sure how they work in America so if you have any questions on the schooling system in England then feel free to leave a comment.

Note: Italics= thoughts

Well that's my first ever chapter of my book, I hope you enjoyed!

Would really appreciate it is you would vote and comment.

Love you my Nuggies- Zoe x

Word Count: 1,045