Chapter 17 - Welcome Back

"Hey," you said warmly.

A pair of wide heterochromic eyes stared at you shockingly. As you stood at his front door wearing a T-shirt dress with your arms wrapped around each other holding onto your elbows in the cold windy evening night as orange rays of the setting sun shone onto your face.

In an instant you were engulfed by his warm embrace as he held you close to him tightly. Slowly unwrapping your arms, you hugged him back. Grabbing onto his sweater tightly, tears steadily dripped down your face as you pressed yourself against Shoto's chest.

"I'm sorry," you said quietly. He immediately released his grip and cupped your face with both his hands, lifting your head to look into his eyes.

"No. No. Why are you sorry? I'm the one who should be apologising. I'm sorry I couldn't protect you," his voice croaked as his eyes started to get glassy. The guilt emitting from his eyes made your heart squeeze tightly. You could have escaped when the heroes came to save you. You could have made your friends less worried and guilty. But you just had to let your desire interfer.

I'm sorry Shoto. Shaking your head vigorously, you gently wiped off the drops of liquid on his cheeks.

Seeing your fatigue, shaking body, he quickly invited you in and prepared a bath for you. Having travelled from Dabi's apartment to Shoto's house, you were truly exhausted. You kneeled down at the dining table, elbows on the table with your hands gripping your scalp. How am I suppose to explain to Dabi. Would I get to see him again?

"Y/n? The bath is ready. I left some clean clothes in..." Shoto stopped talking when he entered the room and saw your distressed posture. "Hey. Are you okay? Y/n?" He asked concerningly as he kneeled next to you reaching out for your hands.

The sudden tugging of your hands broke you from your deep thoughts as you looked up surprisingly at the person. A pair of wavering heterochromic eyes looked at you worriedly. "Huh?" You questioned him, unsure of his sudden appearance.

"I said the bath is ready. But more importantly, are you okay?" He asked softly, clutching your hands comfortingly in between his.

Shaking your head to clear it, "Yes. I'm okay, don't worry." You said reassuringly, forcing a smile on your face. Squeezing his hands back, you stood back up and headed into the toilet quickly.

You slammed the door shut quickly, with your back against it, you slipped down onto the floor as you covered your tear stained face.

After a quick shower, you headed out of  the bathroom in Fuyumi's slightly big sweater and shorts. Luckily, the shorts had drawstrings to help you tighten it around your waist.

You headed back into the dining room to see Fuyumi assembling the dining table with cutleries and freshly cooked food.

"L/n! So good to see that you're okay. Everyone was so worried, especially when they went to save you and saw that you weren't at the location." Fuyumi said warmly as she lifted her head to see you standing at the door way awkwardly. She rushed over and gave you a big warm hug helping you to relax.

Just as she released you from her grasp, Shoto walked in from the dining room with three bowls of steaming rice. He smiled happily at the site of you and his sister hugging and called both of you to sit down for dinner.

"Y/n what happened after you were kidnapped? How did you arrived here unscathed?" Fuyumi asked concerningly as she placed food onto your bowl. You hesitated using your chopsticks to poke at your food, unsure of how to answer her questions.

"Ummm. I. You see..." Shoto cut you off before you stuttered any further, "sis, she must be very tired and emotionally worn out from all the events she went through. Let's let her rest tonight."

"Oh! Yes of course. How inconsiderate of me. I'm so sorry l/n," Fuyumi started apologising repeatedly, ashamed of her inconsideration. "No. No. Issok Fuyumi, really it's fine." You quickly placed down your chopsticks waving your hands to stop her apologies.

After a nice, quiet, comforting dinner you helped Fuyumi clean the dishes as Shoto helped you prepare a room for you to sleep.

"Y/n? Which room would you prefer to sleep in tonight?" His head popped into the kitchen, asking you thoughtfully.
"If I could, can I stay with you tonight?" You replied shyly as a soft rose blush slowly crept up your face.

His eyes widened, surprised by your bold request, face turning red almost instantaneously. "Of course," he stuttered before heading back into the hallway.

"You both must be very close," Fuyumi said with a gentle smile as she scrubbed the plates clean. "He makes me feel safe. I think that's why I came here right away," you replied back sighing softly as you thought of Shoto's comforting touch. 

"Thanks again Fuyumi, I'm sorry for intruding." You said guiltily as you cleaned the table. "It's no problem really. This house is very quiet anyway as it's usually only Shoto and me. The more the merrier," she replied with a bright smile.

Once you were done Shoto led you to the bedrooms as you had never been that far into the house before. As both of you were walking in silence to his room you saw a slightly ajar door. Out of curiosity you peeked into the room. "That's my eldest brother room. You probably know what happened," Shoto said monotonously as he looked at you peek into the room.

"Oh I'm so sorry I didn't mean to be a busybody. I just saw the open door and I couldn't help," you quickly replied, bowing your head repeatedly at your intrusion.

"It's fine," Shoto said with a gentle smile as you signalled you to follow him further into the hallway. You entered a simple, minimalistic room with two pillows on a large size futon and a large comforter.

"One bed again?" You couldn't help but teased the already blushing male beside you. "If you want I could..." Cutting him off immediately, you shook your head vigorously, "I actually prefer it this way." You replied honestly.

As both of you laid down on the futon slightly awkward, you looked at the ceiling, thinking about what you just saw. Why is Dabi's room still kept in its original form? Why is there a altar in his room?

"Y/n. The whole class was very worried, the last few days of school were extremely quiet, Mina wasn't even bubbly. Bakugo was the worst, he got agitated so easily. Like easier than he usually is, Aizawa sensei even had to send him home early one day. I think tomorrow when they see you everyone might feel much better. Just like I did," Shoto broke the silence as he turned his body to face you.

Instinctively, you turned to face him looking into his heterochromic eyes, "I at least owe them that." You said softly, smiling gently. You moved in and hugged his body for comfort as the events of the previous days came rushing back to you.

His shoulders tensed up at your sudden touch, but slowly relaxed happy to have you in his arms. He hugged you back tightly, resting his chin on your head as you rested your forehead on his chest. You could feel his relaxing and calming heartbeat, "lub dub......lub dub......lub dub"
Your eyelids grew heavy as you drifted off to sleep, listening to the lullaby.

~~~

Did you make the right choice?