01 | from hell with love

The world was a complete blur.  Days passed in hazy intervals, comprised of the few mundane tasks she was capable of, throwing up, and then they were simply taken up by nothingness.

Aleia Thompson had fallen devastatingly ill just days prior. 

In one moment she was her normal self, frolicking around in the garden reading pretentious poetry, and in the next, she was simply not the same. Her vision was always blurry, clouded by black spots, and paranoia was overtaking her. Aleia was convinced she could see things just out of the corner of her eyes, large black, beastly animals slowly stalking towards her. Her family was more convinced she was experiencing some type of psychotic break. Her mother had dragged her to doctor after doctor, all to no avail. There was no miracle cure for her daughter. The only theory was to what could cause her to break down and exist in such a pitiful state was stress. 

'She's probably been stressed about school. It's very common - do you perhaps think you're putting too much pressure on her to achieve?' One of the doctors had said to Aleia's mother, nodding condescendingly and refusing to write any prescriptions whatsoever. Because the girl was technically healthy. Not a single thing came up in her blood work, so they quickly ruled out drug use. And it didn't seem life-threatening. 

'She's faking it.'  Another had said. 'You know how teenagers are - they love attention. Come on, Miss Thompson. You're wasting all of our time.' 

Aleia couldn't even comprehend the words being spoken to her. By the fifth day, her olive skin was feverishly hot, and she was constantly gasping for air. Instead of complaining about black beasts ready to pounce on her, she began to whisper about paws, claws, and a great big barbed crimson tail that was composed of hundreds of tiny little scales, and would sway around her protectively, threatening to bat away anyone who dared get too close. 

She was constantly ill, and eternally shaking, demanding the heating be turned down ridiculously low or extraordinarily high. 

Then, on the seventh day, she was miraculously healed. There was no sweat staining Aleia's brow, nor did she mention any monsters. In fact, it was as if her experience had never happened. Whenever Aleia's mother would ask, the girl would simply act confused, in a daze, and avoid answering rather tactfully. 

The only thing that seemed to change about her was what she read. The poetry was quickly abandoned. Aleia exchanged it for a copy of the Holy Bible that she brought out to read in the garden. 

Her mother thought it meant she'd found God after a miracle recovery. 

In truth, Aleia had found an entity much, much worse.