02 | a different kind of crucifixion

A great many tragedies occurred on one particular street in Los Angeles. All of which had some form of connection to the great and infamous murder house that stood between suburban houses, a macabre blight on the neighbourhood that succeeded in bringing down property value and in increasing tourism. 

Michael Langdon was almost one such fatality. 

The blonde boy had simply walked into the street, teary-eyed and confused. Seemingly out of nowhere, the boy was almost struck by a silver Honda Accord, driven by a madwoman with her own tears streaking down her cheeks. Equally mysteriously, the car didn't hit him. 

Michael's head snapped up, his eyes wide as he watches the silver car rush towards him, not once even attempting to slow down. The woman driving it is sobbing, angry, exhausted and devastated by grief. Mascara runs in lines down her face, and she's clutching at the steering wheel like her life depends on it. But the car doesn't run him over. Before it can even get within a metre of him, it simply flips, sailing over his head, crashing and burning into the sidewalk. 

All that remains of the woman inside is a charred mess, a burnt and brittle corpse that is mostly reduced to ash, simply incinerated in the fire. Some civilians rush over to try to help her out, but the flames are too hot and too high. The fire department is there for days trying to put it out. 

Michael creeps over to the murder house, his eyes peaking over the hedge intently. He doesn't dare talk to the police or the civilians, simply out of fear. That kind of close call is what his Grandmother would call 'divine intervention'

Somehow, Michael knows she would be wrong. God doesn't have a vested interest in saving him.