Is This It? [Chapter Four]

Tubbo sat on a chair, staring at the ripped up paper on the table. He had been trying to gather his feelings, to no avail, and writing them just made it more confusing to him. He'd come to the conclusion that while, yes, he hated Schlatt for what he did, he did it with Tubbo's best interests in mind, like he had stated several times. To him though, it almost meant nothing. He would rather have known he wasn't with his family, than been lied to for the majority of his life. Tubbo sat there, thinking about everything that had happened. Within two weeks, he had turned sixteen, been told he was adopted and his life was a lie, lost two of his friends by the president's orders, who happened to also be his biological father, had a conversation with his father, which then turned into Tubbo getting angry, and now, today, he has to go and work by the man's side. He stands up, grabbing his jacket and coat, and other things that he would need. He then leaves his house.
Eventually, he arrives at the building and goes to his assigned space, where he was told to go. He sits down, deciding that, if he was going to do anything, it may as well be his stupid new job that he didn't even ask for in the first place.
Schlatt stumbles in late, the door hitting the wall from his accidentally harsh push. The two greet each other as he walks past, going to his own desk. "Happy new years, kid." Schlatt mumbles, with a slight smile, to which Tubbo quietly responds; "Thank you... You too."

------------------------------------------

Tubbo stood by the corner of the room, a can of coca-cola in hand. He was never one for celebratory parties, but he wouldn't have said no to the invite given to him. While he stands there, taking small sips from his cup, he finds himself unintentionally looking for Schlatt. While he was mad at the man for basically letting him live a lie, in the same room as a letter that had the information he never wanted to know. Upon finding him, they almost instantly are staring at each other. Tubbo takes it upon himself to speak to the man, walking over slowly, and in an awkward manner. When he gets there, the older greets him.
"Hey kid, didn't think you'd want to speak to me."
Tubbo sighs, "Yeah I didn't think I would either, but I've been thinking." As a response, Schlatt tilts his head slightly, sporting a look of confusion. "It's just-" He hesitates. "I feel like I was too quick to make any real judgment. So, I wanna get to know who you are, and I want you to know who I am"
Schlatt was quick to put his cup down, sitting up properly in his chair. "For real?"
"Yeah for real."
Schlatt let out a shaky, almost laugh-like sigh, "Tomorrow?"
Tubbo nodded, deciding it was better sooner than later.

------------------------------------------

Tubbo closed the door to his room, having recently gotten home from a day off with his father. Ironically, this was only his second full day on the job. January 1st, the day he let himself trust a man who lied to him. Oh, how stupid that was. Not because of who he had spent time with, no, because it had gone so well. He had an awesome time with the one person he told himself he didn't want to care for. Hell, maybe Schlatt didn't care for him at all. Maybe he's just making the most out of my presence. Maybe it's just a coincidence that he's my father.
Tubbo started the day convinced it was going to be one of the worst of his life and ended it feeling happier than he'd been in months. It was no secret to the people around him that he got overwhelmed quicker than most, but maybe the answer to that was his father. Maybe their genetics made some sort of bond?
That's stupid, he says aloud, surely that's not how genetics work. You're just being dumb. He pauses for a second. Maybe I'm not being dumb...
The boy stood there, leaning on his door. Maybe there was something he was missing. Maybe it had something to do with Schlatt. There's only really one way to find out, but, how was he meant to do it? He had told himself not to affiliate with the one man he was finding made him happiest. Apart from Tommy. He knew everything that went through Tubbo's head and knew exactly how to help him too. But there's no use in thinking about that if he's never coming back.
Tubbo wasn't mad at anyone. He just didn't see the need for one exile, let alone two. At the same time though, it made sense. Schlatt wanted power. By the looks of things, that's all Schlatt has ever wanted, and all Schlatt ever will want. He couldn't fault the man for getting rid of his only main competition. Though, he couldn't shake the feeling of anger. With no knowledge of who the anger was directed to, he couldn't help but pin it on himself. It was a habit of his, an unhealthy one, but a habit nonetheless. Whenever he didn't know the cause for something, he always assumed it was himself, which, in hindsight, was probably a bad thing to start doing. He couldn't break it though, so that was what he was stuck with.
Ironically, Tubbo felt it would've been easier if Tommy and Wilbur were killed. Obviously, it would be difficult either way, but this way, he knew they were still out there somewhere. It made him reach for them more. These were two men he had grown up with, grown up next to. Techno was never really eager to become friends with Tubbo, only brothers, which, they technically weren't even that. Was that how it was supposed to be? Did Techno know?
He felt the anger grow with that question. If he did know, it was stupid of him not to say anything. Tubbo sure as hell knew that, if he was told information like that, he would struggle to keep it in for a week, god knows how he would fare with sixteen years. God knows. The young man sunk to the floor, still mostly leaning against his door. This wasn't how he planned his life would go. Not at all. Why does nothing ever go how I want it to?