Chapter 3: The Unfortunate Timing And The Damning Clue

DAY 40...

'Looking for a needle in a haystack'. An expression used to mean searching for something precious in a place where it is impossible to find it. In my case, it was way worse than I could ever imagine. I fearfully treaded down the dark and grotesque streets of my fantasy land trying to bring the dismantled pieces of my head together, it was undoubtedly clear that I was far off from discovering the truth. There is nothing as scary as an unexpected ghost a hive away.

I walk down an eerily haunted street with glimmers of dimly colored street lights, some flickering. I hear hoots of an owl nearby clashing with the unanimous shrill sounds of something enervating. The wind gently blows through the street carrying with it the dry rattling leaves. I tremble at the sudden freaky shiver that runs down my spine. As I slowly turn my focus to scour the street...my eyes land on huge overgrowing root tentacles toppling over every building down the street. I continue to walk down the lane reading some of the building names, not sure what I'm looking for... Public Library... Glastonbury High... Town Museum... Archives Building... "Wait, this is downtown Elm Street..." I whisper to myself. Suddenly, a heavy exhaled sigh from the side startles me. I struggle to clear out the steamy sigh, coughing out some of it, I lean in to have a closer look at the origin of the mystic breath and my eyes meet face to face with a huge contracting air hole filled with slimmy mucus. I widen my eyes in shock trying to hold in a scream, and with that I gradually start to move backwards only to stumble on my feet and land on the tip of the root tentacle. Suddenly I hear a distant rumble and as I gradually turn my head to look down the street, I see the street gradually sinking into the ground together with the root tentacles and just as I'm about to jolt up and run...

I heard distant mumbles interrupting my crumbling world. I felt a cotton gauze tightened around my head and the soft touch of a warm cloth on my forehead repetitively tapping down to my ear. I openned my eyelids gently trying to regain consciousness...

"Is she awake?", I heard a voice ask. It sounded like Valerie's.

"I don't think so. She's slowly coming along", Shelly answered. I hissed a bit. "Sorry", Shelly apologized dipping the towel in the bowl beside her.

"You still don't know what happened to her?", I heard Bilsky inquire, he was standing in front of my bed, or so my blurry vision could tell.

"We are not exactly doctors, you know that, all we can say is that she banged her head or something", said Valerie also sitting next to me, trying to make sure my head was well supported on the heap of pillows placed underneath.

"Yeah, and isn't that strange to you? You don't just wake up and find your back head in a pool of blood, this is something else", Bilsky continued to inquire.

"Maybe she was sleepwalking", Valerie said.

"Sleepwalking?", Shelly scoffed.

"Yeah, then maybe something or someone spooked her?", Valerie answered.

"What makes you think she was spooked?", Shelly prompted.

"I don't know, maybe she woke up in the middle of the night, got spooked and banged her head on something", Valerie said.

"Then how did she get back to her bed?", Shelly asked.

"I don't know, we're living in freaky times, anything is possible, maybe she levitated back to her bed", Valerie said.

"That's not possible",

"You know, I still don't understand what happened to her", Bilsky scoffed folding his hands.

I struggled to stabilize my visuals, it was like penetrating a realm back into my world, a world that hadn't gotten any better than yesterday. However, something bewitching and ominous lingered in the dark this time...