Chapter 2: The Ninth Bloody Hand Appeared!

POV: ASHLEY

'It was on the October 5th, and the year being 2005, as I recall. The time that the unimaginable happened. The time that everything turned dark, cold and misty. The Great Dark Invasion, or so I called it. The year that we lost hope of ever seeing the light of day...and I mean, ever. Completely left hopeless and stranded, with only one last move awaiting initiation. The Death Con.

With only thirty nine days into the apocalypse, disparity was slowly clouding every hope we ever had of getting out of there. Every effort to establish contact with the outside world was to no success. We were in a dead end just sitting ducks waiting for our final fate to creep in. We knew that there was no chance we could ever make it out of those woods alive not alone make it a mile away from the cabin, but we knew whatever it was that was lurking outside, and causing us sleepless times, well, it was just a matter of time before it came knocking in...

DAY 39...

'laughter in a day takes away a sustainable amount of stress.' A statement that my mum echoed to me all the time while trying to crack jokes. Terrible jokes. But they were funny for  being terrible, I guess. They did the charm of lightening up my mood whenever I had something in mind or when I was facing a hard situation. But this time...this time the quote wasn't working, neither were the jokes. As much as I tried to remember them, none seemed to cool the moment, maybe they were better of cracked by the original mouth, I thought to myself. I watched the outside through the window shutters from time to time trying not to draw attention to whatever it was that had been lurking outside for the past thirty nine days.

The wind breezed gently across the front yard that was now carpeted by the dry leaves falling from the shedding trees. The wind blew across it anyway carrying the dry leaves with it as their sounds rattled across the air. The snaking tree branches, the weak twigs, the gas lamps by the front porch all danced about as the wind continued to howl harder. Beer cans and bottles, plastic bags, broken furniture, table umbrellas, bonfire extinguished spots; these were all the things that testified about the crazy party we had thirty nine days ago before things took at drastic turn. A loud creak about the swinging chair by the trees startled my gaze, I let go of the shutters, the wind was howling harder. It was coming. Or rather playing us for fools. One thing we had learnt though was that, this thing travelled with the wind as soon as it sensed human heat signatures nearby but still no one had seen it to affirm it's appearance or how it did it's sensing exactly. With the bizarre atmosphere outside, it was even had telling whether it was day or night because darkness prevailed twenty-four/seven.

We only had our dead phones that didn't serve much purpose other than portray the nationwide lockdown alert message, also the clock on the wall didn't seem of much use than only tell us it was 6p.m. It kept on ticking about anyway. A khaki calendar by the wall had days marked out in a faint felt-tip marker indicating the precise date we were. We couldn't afford to loose count. Our second option to the electric outage we had two weeks ago had kept us and surprisingly it hadn't been knocked out. We tried to ration it to the essential rooms only, though it kept flickering from time to time every time the wind blew about the attic iron sheets that were about to be carried away anytime soon. Maybe it was about time the generator gave up to.

From outside, the string of the remaining colored electric bulbs running round to the backyard could show the many unfortunate times the thing had attacked us, banging the cabin, patronizing us, causing us to take turns on night watches. I'm talking about the many numerous occasions we had to seal off holes on the roof and the sides of the cabin. This had been going on for the past thirty nine days, that we had gotten used to it. All we could be armed with was a cardboard, nails and tapes to seal a new hole. I couldn't explain enough how rough it had been these couple of days.