Cha-pter *4*

"What do you think brought Yezun here?" Xin Ci could hear Lan Yi's sweet voice ringing in his ears, he had no idea how much he loved this woman and was impossible to break up with her even if it's temporary. There she was, his sweet flower. Sitting by the pool wearing only her bathrobe, how could she look remarkably beautiful even at this age.

"Not a good reason. I think we must stop seeing each other for now. Not only Yezun that scares me now but Mr. Bai. He is having something in mind that he wouldn't even share it with me" It was a split second when she looked over her shoulder and he could see the panic in her eyes. Panic and fear. Lan Yi as strong as she was couldn't put on her brave face.

"You must be joking?" Her sexy eyes were covered with coldness he had never seen before.

"You have no right to say that! I can't accept being separated from you. Do you know how much I have waited for this night? Do you even love me properly?" She stood up from the chair. Her eyes were searching for a way to confront him and change his mind. She refused what Xin Ci just suggested to protect both of them knowing that Yunlan won't keep silent about them if he knows about their relationship.

"I am sorry, I can't tell you how dangerous and smart that detective is. Let alone that he is Shen Bai's son. He will try to dig into your lives and expose you one by one" He thought to himself while keeping silent. The nature of his job doesn't allow him to speak about his master's personal and private matters even if this concerns the people he most cares for.

"Let's not make it any harder than it already is, don't you think? We should take a break. Things are already very messy at home" With a steady calm voice Xin Ci tried to explain to her the importance and seriousness of the matter without going into more details. When Lan Yi didn't hear anything else from her boyfriend, she averted her gaze away in frustration.

"That's all you have to say?" She asked and he nodded.

"Okay, as you wish" She gazed at him thoughtfully, pressed a butterfly kiss on his lips then went to change her clothes and leave. She refused to spend the night with someone who is putting an end to their relationship after all these years.

All her hapinesse and excitement about today's encounter was deliberately erased. She purposely acted calm and poised despite feeling broken and oppressed about their relationship, which she thought was weaker than a spider's nest. Despite their attempts for all these years to overcome obstacles and keep hidden, For Xin Ci work and Mr. Shen Bai were much more important than his relationship with her.

"Do I even matter to you?" This is what she thought at last after studying his behaviour for all these years.

"Zzzzzzz" Xin Ci heard his phone vibrating, he quickly peeked at the clock hanged on the wall. The time refered to one A.M in the morning.  Confused about this, Xin Ci raised his phone in his hand and looked at the sender's identity. It was a message from Yezun. Before even reading it, he had already built up an idea about the content.

[I am looking for my Stepmom, have you seen here anywhere?]

The message was an honest threat to both Xin Ci and Lan Yi. The man didn't show any reaction and remained unshakable. He preferred to deal with this alone without involving Lan Yi into this mess. Seeing the thoughtful look on his face, Lan Yi couldn't get what was on his mind to be this focused as she was about to leave.

"I am leaving" She satirised with a cold voice. The anger coursing through her left her shaking. She clenched and unclenched her fists several times in an attempt to calm down. However, nothing helped. She whispered cursing at Xin Ci then retreated. Furious with how things were turning out.