Fluttering Eyes

Rylan's eyes fluttered as he inched his head about. He caught sight of Annabelle sleeping in a chair beside him, and he struggled to reach out and touch her dangling leg, but his arm wouldn't obey. When he flexed his fingers, Rylan started coughing. Reflexively, Annabelle's hand stretched out and gripped Rylan's. He grasped her fingertips, and Annabelle went rigid as her eyelids snapped open.

Annabelle bent down, jamming the call button as she kissed his forehead. Her hands caressed his cheeks as a tear tumbled from her eye. "You're finally awake!"

Rylan inched his head and coughed, mouthing drink.

Annabelle leapt to her feet, grabbing the cup, and dashed for the sink. She shoved the mug under the faucet, and a stream of water flowed. When her fingers felt the liquid spilling over the rim, she scurried back to his bed and eased the straw into Rylan's mouth. "Don't gulp it down." While Rylan sipped the drink, Annabelle brushed his hair from his face. "You gave all of us a scare."

As more coughing filled the room, nurses rushed inside like a flock of birds. One pulled Annabelle away from her husband's side and took the cup from her. "We'll let you rejoin him after we check him out. Has he spoken?"

Annabelle covered her mouth with her hands while she shook her head.

"Please wait here," the nurse said as she scrambled to Rylan, joining the rest of the medical staff. Other nurses propped Rylan up and attached various probes and sensors to him. Annabelle refilled the massive cup and placed it on the counter and leaned against the wall while they continued working.

When they finished, a member of the throng walked away and grabbed Annabelle's forearm. With a smile, she pulled her aside, "The doctor will be in shortly to examine your husband. While you wait, there shouldn't be a problem with you sitting beside him."

"I haven't heard him speak, is everything okay?"

The nurse squeezed Annabelle's hands and glanced over her shoulder. She sucked her lips and inhaled as her gaze drifted back to Annabelle. She patted Annabelle's hand, "Rylan hasn't spoken to us either. Be patient, he'll be talking soon enough."

"Thank you," Annabelle said. She plucked the cup off the counter and hurried back to Rylan. Annabelle placed the glass on the tray, positioning it in front of her husband.

He gripped her knee and spoke with a gravelly voice. "When..."

Annabelle grinned and wrapped her arms around Rylan. "The nurses didn't think you'd be speaking this quickly after waking up."

"How... long..."

"You've been in a coma for almost a month," Annabelle tightened her grip on Rylan's wrist.

Rylan propped himself onto an elbow and collapsed back into the pillow, "Did... catch..."

Annabelle took hold of Rylan's hand, caressing it while she nodded. "No, and they don't have any legitimate suspects. That utter lack of knowledge, has forced the police to wait until a coma patient could answer some questions."

Annabelle tapped Rylan's forehead and kissed his knuckles. "Thankfully, you qualify, and they'll be able to make some progress. The detectives couldn't discover anything from the crime scene, and the doctors could determine nothing from your initial examination."

A fit of coughing tore through Rylan as his body hunched.

"It's okay," Annabelle whispered as she scooted closer. "Dad kept anyone from making wild accusations, but Liam was behind this, wasn't he?"

Rylan tapped the water, and Annabelle placed the straw into his mouth. After several sips, he sighed and laid back. "Leader was Evan," Rylan coughed, and he worked to loosen his jaw. "And the beating courtesy of Liam and Cederic."

The phone appeared in Annabelle's hand, and she scrolled through her contacts. She jabbed the screen and placed the device next to her ear. "Hello, is this Detective Sutton?" Her eyes darkened as she jumped out of her seat. "My husband just woke up, and he's capable of identifying his assailants."

Annabelle paced around the room and lifted her hand to her temple. "Please come as quickly as you can." She whirled towards Rylan, and another tear tumbled down her cheek. "Provided you don't tire him, the doctor should allow you to speak with him." With a nod, she shoved the phone into her pocket.

"Something wrong?"

Annabelle shook her head and rushed back to Rylan's side and traced his face as a smile stretched from ear to ear. "The detective is coming to interview you."

"Anyone else awake?"

"No," Annabelle answered as she rested her cheek on Rylan's shoulder. "You're the only victim who's regained consciousness. The current belief is that the officer who found you interrupted your assailants. That moment of indecision prevented them from doing to you what they did to their other victims."

"How many more?"

Annabelle drew in a deep breath, placing his fingers on her cheek. "There have been two more assaults since the police rescued you."

Rylan gripped her hand and lifted it to his lips. "Thank you for being here."

"Where else would I be?"

"I love you," Rylan tapped her fingers against his forehead.

"You're never leaving the house again without a bodyguard and an armored truck."

As his laughter turned into coughing, Rylan grasped Annabelle's hand. When he grew quiet, Rylan grabbed his drink, taking several sips. Rylan placed the cup on the table and sighed. "After sleeping for a month, I know you'd rather keep me awake. But I'm tired."

Annabelle's finger squeezed the button, and a nurse appeared in the doorway. "Would it be okay for my husband to have some coffee?"

A smile wormed onto the nurse's face, "If he's exhausted, let him rest, especially if a detective is on the way."

Annabelle bolted upright, crossing the room in a flash. "My spouse just woke up from a coma."

"And that was a traumatic experience." The nurse reached out, gripping Annabelle's shoulders, "However, now that he has escaped the stupor, let your husband get some quality rest."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you enjoyed this story, please comment and vote. Also, consider checking out my Patreon site for more flash fiction

https://www.patreon.com/stevenpmeehan