Act I: The Unfolding

Chaska worked at a portion of venison, but the sleeve of his knife-wielding hand slipped past his elbow. Using the one which had been managing the meat, he pushed up the sleeve of his maroon tunic, transferring deer fat onto the cuff.

Dyani, his younger sister, appeared next to him. "You just washed that shirt," she said, peering up at him behind the rim of her mug.

Sometimes he still saw two hazel eyes staring back at him, but her left eye had been cloudy and scarred for 11 years. He often cursed his eight-year-old self for running around with that antler knife near his sister. It had taken Dyani years to even approach Chaska while he cooked.

When she reached for the dirty cuff, Chaska lightly slapped her hand and placed the knife on his far side, aiming the blade at the wall. Next to him, she seemed so small and fragile, but even with one less eye, she was twice the hunter he was.

"What's on your mind?" she asked, putting her tea down.

Chaska glanced at the pale scar running from her eyebrow to her cheekbone. "I've been thinking," he said, looking down at the cutting board. He hovered his hand over the knife but folded his arms instead.

Dyani waved Chaska out of the way and finished slicing the venison into thin strips. She scratched her temple with a thumb, the blade centimeters away from her face. "About what?"

"I may know a way to fix your eye."

Dyani stopped, shaking her head. "There is no way to fix my eye, Chaska. The Shamans have tried; you have tried."

Chaska proceeded slowly, avoiding his sister's gaze. "Yee Naaldlooshii is said to have supernatural powers, so I could—"

Dyani spun. "Don't even think about finishing that sentence. How could you suggest that? We've heard the stories about how evil those people are, what they're capable of."

"I've been doing some research and asking elders who are willing to talk to me," Chaska said. "I believe that if I become a Skinwalker, as a Shaman, I can heal you."

"That's absolutely ridiculous."

"Well, what else am I supposed to do?" Chaska said, thrusting his hands out. "I'm out of options, Dyani."

Dyani stepped away from the sizzling pan and faced Chaska. "The only option you have is to let me live my life as I am." She shoved Chaska, grinning. "Who's won the fox hunt three years in a row?"

"You."

"And who's lost three years in a row?" Chaska remained silent. "Come on, I want to hear you say it."

Chaska coughed. "Me."

"What? Say that a little louder?"

"Me," Chaska said, rolling his eyes. His chuckle stopped short as the guilt bubbled in his gut.

Dyani had preoccupied herself with the venison again. She controlled the spatula with a precision that bordered elegance. "Promise me," she said.

"What?"

"That you won't risk your life for me." She glanced sidelong at Chaska. "My eye is not worth your life. We've already lost our family. I don't want to lose you too."

Chaska bit the inside of his cheek and exhaled. Telling Dyani what he had planned would only end in a fight. She may not forgive him for lying to her, but if he succeeded, everything would be worth it. "Alright, fine," he said, hands raised. "I promise." The lie tasted foul on his tongue, but he swallowed it and shooed Dyani back toward the smoking venison.

After a quiet dinner, Chaska excused himself, mumbling about needing fresh air. He stood and listened in front of the closed door, but the clinks of clean dishes being stacked held a consistent rhythm. He crept around the back of their small house to a section of loose boards. As noiselessly as possible, Chaska removed the board and pulled out a wooden box. Pins crawled down his neck as though multiple eyes watched him, but only the mountains loomed in the distance. His wolfskin headdress sat folded in the box, thankfully untouched by the elements. Tucked in the folds of the pelt was a small clay container, a depiction of the life cycle painted around the neck, and inside, were amá sání's ashes. Usually her ashes resided on the mantle above the fireplace, but he had replaced the vase with a replica. Somehow, Dyani hadn't noticed, and he thanked the Creator for that. Necessary items in hand, Chaska fit the board back into place and set off to do what needed to be done.