Salva

When I arrived in Hanói, Raquel was sitting by the table we were the day before, looking even more beautiful than usual. I approached the table and she smiled when she saw me. We started talking and a few minutes later we ordered dinner. I didn’t even notice the time passing, it was so easy to talk to her. We had already ordered our drinks when I asked:

- So, does any of your daughters know about… this?

- Esperanza is thrilled. She practically put me out of the house. I didn’t tell Paula because I don’t know how she will react. She’s used to have her mama and papa together.

- It’s a good thing I showed up, then, since your date stood you up.

- Yes, that’s right. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you hadn’t shown up.

- And… your date… are you interested in him or…?

- No, not anymore.

- What a shame. Well, let’s see if I’ll be any use to you. Am I flirting with her? – She bit her lip.

- I can think of a use or two… Oh my God, is she flirting back?

- I’m glad. However, I must confess that we’re both in danger because, - she raised her eyebrows. – if I have another one of these, - I said, pointing at my drink. – I’ll start humming jigs and then we’ll have a problem. – She let out the most beautiful sound I had ever heard, and then I understood she was laughing.

- I’m sure you get very funny.

- Believe me, that’s not something you want to see.

Raquel

Looking back at that date, which happened years ago, I wish I could say that it was the only time I held that man under gunpoint. But I don’t regret it, although there were other ways of getting to his place.

Truth to be told, when I was standing there in front of him, I could only think of how he would look like under all of those layers of clothes.

- And to think that I almost called my ex-husband…

- Your ex-husband?

- Yes, the one who’s a bastard but is also the best in the whole Forensics unit. They described me this place as a meth lab…

- A meth lab? Here?

- Well, let’s say I almost screwed up even more. – We laughed and smiled at each other. I suddenly became serious. He was so close… I could just kiss him if I wanted to… And that’s exactly what I did. It was quick and hesitant, but it was there. I stepped back to see his reaction. He looked at me like if we were hunter and prey, although not knowing who was which, and his breath quickened. Well, at least he didn’t run away. I kissed him again. In a fraction of a second, I felt his hands on my hair and I did the same.

It was slow, like if we were discovering each other. But suddenly I felt the need to say something. Things couldn’t change so quickly that five minutes before that I was pointing him a gun and now, we were kissing, could they? I stepped back and he looked confused.

- I want you to know that I’ll never pull my gun out again. Okay?

- Okay. – His lips went after mine, and it felt like Heaven, but there was still somethings that needed to come out.

- …Or search you, or doubt you… - There was a pause when we kissed for a few seconds. – It’s time we stop treating each other so formally, don’t you think?

- I think it’s time, yes. – While he was talking, he pulled his jacket off his shoulders, asking me wordlessly if I wanted to take it further. My excitement grew bigger seeing him taking that first step. I got rid of my blazer in no time. I’m in, I’m so in.