Chapter One // Impressions

[Time Jump - Season 3]

Crypto stood in the corner of the dropship, carefully observing the room filled with a crowd of contestants composed of either common fools who were willing to die for a little glory or legends who were confident in their next victory. Having played for sometime, growing his skill with intense dedication, and learning the complete ins and outs of World's Edge, Crypto was starting to pair with other legends more often than average contestants. He took this as a celebratory sign of his improvement- or more rebuilding.

His hands were enclosed in his jacket pockets- a habit he'd grown to develop since long ago- as he rested his weight on the wall behind him, casually closing himself off the crowd of people huddled in the middle of the ship. Loud chatter filled his ears, conversations of excitement, potential fights, fear, and pride rising to an uncomfortable level as the dropship traveled closer and closer to the arena. Shaking his head as if trying to isolate himself from the ambiance around him, his eyes gazed upon the unopened drop platform with a deadpan essence. Mentally preparing himself for what was to come of the grueling blood sport, he approached the closed dropship platform. Countless deaths at his hands could not faze him away from the truth which he believed to be most important: Each kill is another stab into his old self. Each shot is a step forward. Each match is just another addition to his repertoire.

He pursed his lips in determination, before his thoughts were suddenly interrupted by a light tap on his shoulder.

"Looks like we got matchmade for squads," a voice spoke to him.

Swiftly, and yet with gentle mannerism, Crypto turned to see a strangely familiar woman in front of him. His eyes tightened ever so slightly in a subtle manner of deep thought, as they examined her features.

She had black hair similar to his, tied tightly in a slicked back bun with bangs freely flowing in front of her eyes and framing the sides of her face. Her pale skin was tinted with the color of roses, and her eyes resembled deep pools of freshwater. She had a short, square jaw and eyes sharply pointed to the ends of her face in an utmost countenance of ferocity. Her small frame was clothed in black leathers and quilted purple pads adorned with some sorts of mechanical conductors along its stitching. Clasps of metal and white mesh lined her outfit, a long black scarf enveloping her neck with tattered ends as though burned and shorn.

Just by observing her attire of choice, Crypto immediately knew she was no stranger to the Apex games. An average contestant would foolishly wear light clothing for the sake of sparing themselves the pain and burden of World's Edge's unforgiving heat and blazing fields. The composure in her stance, the meticulous intention of everything she wore, and the tension she could instill upon the room brought Crypto to one conclusion: she's definitely a legend.

"I've seen your banner," she spoke to him, her voice deep and yet somehow quite calming, "You've been around for a while."

"I have, but we've never met before."

She nodded to him understandingly, though without any shift in her expression, "My name is Wraith."

Crypto's eyes widened slightly. Wraith. She was the predicted champion on the decryption he and Mila found: the 84% chance of victory. He quickly returned to his usual mannerism, disregarding his initial shock.

"Crypto," he told her simply before the edges of his lips curved slightly, "I've seen your matches. I'll try to keep up."

Her expression shifted into a small smirk, "Good. With tech like that I'd be surprised if you couldn't."

He raised an eyebrow to her, "Tech like this?"

"Don't let it get to your head."

"I want in on our squad conversation!" a voice chimed into Wraith and Crypto's banter, a tall, thin and blue robot approaching the two of them with a bright light on his spherical head, "Friends?"