Chapter Four // Confrontation

What was once an enticing coincidence and even question of fate became an occurrence unnerving and considerably frustrating. It seemed as though the matchmaking was completely rigged out; Wraith couldn't escape having Crypto as her teammate. Despite fighting in the games on different days, developing no possible pattern, the simultaneous presence of both of them always brought them together.

The voices in Wraith's head began to warn her of the oddity of the entire situation, contrasting from their previous encouraging words of their building friendship. For what felt like an eternity after meeting him, a multitude of nights were spent laying awake in her empty apartment, the image of his kind smile inevitably returning to the forefront of her mind. There was something so peculiar in the way in which he was affecting her. It felt as though she had to continuously fight to brush off the anxieties and overthinking of the entire situation within the past while, yet she hardened her expression again, though this time into the coldest it's ever been.

Finding her mental pathway back to reality, Wraith gently snapped awake from her thoughtful daze, though making no movement on the outside. Her eyes traced the environment laid before her, now covered in confetti, only the sounds of roaring crowds and triumphant music ringing loudly in her ears. The entirety of World's Edge seemed so small from the Champion standpoint. Overlooking the fissures surrounded by lava in contrast to the crystal, turquoise rivers scattered throughout the map, it was nearly impossible to ignore the spirit of victory. Countless death boxes, bodies, and pools of blood rested beneath her feet, but even the most gruesome of bloodsport conquest could not bestow upon Wraith what she truly desired- clarity.

Her eyes wandered about her surroundings before their deathly gaze fell on the sight of Crypto next to her, who had been seemingly eyeing her from the side as they accepted the glory of winning together. They split the center position of the so-called pedestal, and the entire blur of the past few hours came back to Wraith like an avalanche. She initially wanted a trios squad, but for the fear of being matchmade with Crypto and to test the probabilities of her skepticism, she had forced herself to lower her chances of seeing him- duos it was. However, she had not anticipated the ultimate backfire of the situation. Not only was she paired with Crypto, she had no other teammate to rely on than him. Just the thought frustrated her. Out of embarrassment, perhaps, but more disappointment in herself. She didn't like the extent to which Crypto had been learning about her; she felt it left her vulnerable and somewhat defenseless against him. He could be on an opposing squad in the future, and she'd be screwed.

You'd be fine.

You could hold your own.

You know him too.

That's not what bothers you.

Agonizing words bounced in Wraith's mind, convincing her to shoot daggers with her eyes at Crypto out of her frustration. He returned her lethal gaze with eyes softening into concern as the female announcer in the overhead finished the last of her proclamation of the champion squad. As soon as the speakers cut off the woman's blaring voice, the hum of the waiting dropship filled the silence which they would have suffered otherwise.

Turning on her heel with contained and perplexed frustration, Wraith entered the dropship, attempting to calm herself to the best of her abilities as the blinding light of World's Edge left a gleaming residue in her sight as she entered the dark room. Her ears picked up on Crypto's footsteps following behind her, a hypersensitivity to her surroundings overwhelming her mind. Taking control of the sudden adrenaline rushing through her body, she paused, keeping her back to Crypto, waiting to hear the loud sound of the dropship panels close. The lack of peeking sunlight behind her, the movement beneath her feet, and the loud roar of the dropship engine signified to her that what she feared and what she needed had opened its opportunity to her: it was her and Crypto in the dropship, isolated and encased, with no one to hear or see them.