Chapter Five // Doubt

To say that Renee was nervous was- much to her displeasure- an understatement. As much as she attempted to erase the details of their interaction from last night, she could not refrain from thinking herself to be so careless to be that vulnerable with Crypto. She internally scolded herself once more for revealing her name to him. It felt right in the moment, or perhaps it was simply the persuasion of the voices. However, nothing could truly conceal her growing susceptibility to revealing herself to him. The more thought she dedicated to the idea of him, the more she grew to resent herself. Her life story is a perfect formula for a cruel future and a calloused heart, yet it was still so easy to lose herself in his company. She hated herself for being so weak to his kindness.

Reinforcing her disciplined inhospitality, she reminded herself that the time she and Crypto would spend together were merely building blocks to retrieving the locations of the hidden facilities in Kings Canyon. It would amount to nothing more. Despite Crypto's suspiciously relentless intentions to train and help Renee achieve her goals, she fixed herself on taking advantage of his intel and willingness to witness her success. As much as it bothered her to truly admit it, Crypto was truthfully insightful in terms of observing her skill set as well as the action she needed to take to improve. She did need him, but she questioned if she needed him in the same way he needed something from her.

Kicking sand off her shoe, Renee watched the tiny particles scatter themselves in the gusty winds of the firing range. She sighed to herself, shifting her weight as she intensely observed the cave entrance with limited patience. Crypto wasn't necessarily late yet, but the last thing Renee wanted was to sit and wait with the unbearable chatter of her thoughts and anxieties. Tearing her stare away from the dark openings in the rocks, she looked back to the crowded panels of the firing range, observing the multitude of firearms propped up on their displays. She walked carefully towards them, the quiet footsteps of her boots against the hot metal panels beneath her softly ringing in her ear. She paced with wandering eyes, taking in every detail of her surroundings. The clay colored rocks seemed to toast in the blazing sun- a contrast to the magnificent ocean waves that could be seen from the other side of the range fences. Screens, banners, ropes, and machinery scattered themselves all throughout the arena. It was all so incredibly familiar and yet upon pondering her surroundings, Renee came to the conclusion that she was still so ignorant in mastering each aspect of the Apex games.

He's here.

Ready up.

Work hard. Get the information.

Don't forget what you're really here for.

What are you really here for?

"Renee," Crypto's voice called to her from behind.

The voices in her head immediately hushed as he approached, their endless chatter replaced with regret upon hearing her name roll off his lips.

She turned to him, collected and somewhat uninviting in aura, "Good, you're punctual. Let's get started."

Like all the cold words she'd previously spoken to him, he didn't seem to pay much mind to her apathy. Renee felt frustrated simply looking at him. He was someone who wanted her utmost success and happiness with no return, no motivation, and no connection to her. She bit her lip, restraining her heated curiosity. She'd never known anyone to do anything that wasn't out of personal gain. Even she, herself, agreed to his proposal for the sake of her own fulfillment.

Quickly hindering her concerns, she focused her attention on approaching the heavy ammo weapons with him. He stood six feet from the gun displays, eyes carefully studying the outlines of each weapon with deep thought and deduction. He pursed his lips before approaching the M600 Spitfire, firmly pulling it off its stand. Grasping it with two hands, he swiftly held it out to Renee. Without a word or shift in expression, she took the gun from his hand, observing its meticulous craft as it entered her possession.