Chapter 21

Being alone never phased me. I was alone with my mother, alone in the city and I was alone now. Ash only drove. At moments, when the tears trickled down his face, he would touch my hand or even be brave enough to hold it but otherwise, we hardly talked. It had been almost two days since we left her behind.

We were low on supplies, our food, water and fuel coming to a slow end.

He never told me, but he seemed to have a place in mind, somewhere beyond to horizon, near to the spot that he stared.

***

 Peyton's Point Of View

I was sick.

Not red neck, fingernails caked with blood, sunken eyes sick, but lost sick. Depressed sick. Insane sick.

Sarah and her baby were gone, Justin going after them. It was just me now, to fend for myself.

But my life had never been any different.

I looked down at Sarah's baby, her brown eyes blinking softly under her thick brown hair. This baby knew things we didn't, I could see it. Her tiny fingers found my thumb, clenching it as hard as her little fingers could manage. I could hear Justin and Sarah arguing in the other room, no doubt it was about me. They had taken me in, fed me and clothed me and now they wanted me gone.

Each town was the same and I couldn't remember the one I was in now. The sun rose and I stayed hidden, the sun set and I ran, accompanied by the pounding in my head.

My life meant nothing, I had no where to go or to be, my lungs were not worth the air.

As I sat up from the wooden chair I was perched on, I crept towards the window. It was the same house Sarah had taken me before she left, the only house I knew was truly empty as it had no windows and I kept it locked.

I peeked out the dirty red windows, greeted by the setting sun. As I opened the front door, the pounding started.