Chapter 16.

I could see skyscrapers cutting into the horizon. It was a good sign, meaning that the city had been kept a little nicer than most. Well just the ones my mum told me about.

Clara squirmed with excitement. She pointed to the nearing city and turned to me, cracking a smile. The plan was to stick to the edge of the city, and depending on what it looked like would tell if we were going to venture in further or not. A clean, well kept city meant health. Ruins meant sickness.

Asher's point of View.

I don't think Lucy understood. It was like she expected health to greet us with open arms in the next city from our last one. With the disease entering into the lungs, expecting to find health close to us was asking for disappointment.

My hands cramped around the wheel, I thought about the things I've been told.

It was already bad when I was born. My mum didn't believe in letting the fear stop her living her life, but she told me she didn't believe in love either. But that was after dad died.

I wasn't alive when the disease was born. I wasn't alive when the world tried to save itself. I wasn't alive when the government tried to take control but failed. I had missed the panic, the fear, the loss but it wasn't something I was disappointed about missing.

There were not police or ambulances when I was born. If you decided to have a baby in a world disaster, you were on your own. If you hurt yourself, you had to fix yourself or die. I was a survival of the fittest but with a twist, where the too brave would get infected and the hiding would die of starvation.

Life has never been easy or perfect, but somehow, I never fail to find something good in it. 

Lucy's Point of View 

Into the city we drove, all three of us silent as we took in our surroundings. The early morning light provided a glow on the houses, all of them in relatively good condition.

We headed towards the centre of the city, no discussion needed.

I climbed through the middle to the back of the van and rummaged through the supplies. Opening a few bags and boxes, I found the bag I was looking for.

The weapons bag.

Ash spun around for a split second and saw what I was doing.

"The pepper spray is Clara's. I showed her how to use it at home."

That made me smile slightly.

Pulling out a short dagger, I tucked it into the waistband of my pants and then pulled out a longer blade, resting it in my hands.

Clara with her pepper spray, me with my knife and Ash with his machete, on we drove.

-   *   -   *   -   *   -   *   -   *   -   *   -    *   -

Authors note- Please read my lovely editor/best friends book called "uninfected insane" by Halle_Kate_

It is a truly amazing book which you definitely won't regret reading!