Chapter 17

Although the sun was almost fully risen, the streets were empty. There were no moving cars, no people behind their windows but more important, none of the insane watching or wandering.

The city didn't seem alive enough to me, but I didn't say anything.

Ash scanned the streets just as I did, without a word. Clara, back on my lap and facing me, had her forhead rested against my chest. He hands gently played with the bare sking on my arms, drawing little circles around the odd freckle that she could find.

When I tried to speak, it was if fear had gripped my vocal chords. I was scared.

I was scared for Ash and Clara but most of all, I was scared for myself. I didn't want to die disease related.

Ash spoke before I tried again.

"Where should we go?"

I cleared my throat, and unfolded my arms off Clara's lap before I spoke.

"I think we should go to a hospital."

He stared at me for a moment but didn't speak. It was the best thing I could come up with. They had supplies, quarantine areas and doctors, to me it all added up.

***

The streets never filled.

My breaths were ragged as I clutched Clara's tiny fingers. Her fear almost reflected mine, tapping her knee against the dirty window.

Ash blinked slowly, slowing down just as I looked at him.

I looked to where his eyes were fixed. A hospital sign.

Asher's point of view.

We pulled into the parking lot, littered with broken and empty cars.

Slowly, we climbed out on the van as I fingered the handle of the long blade, tucking it into my waist band and i walked around the car to help out Lucy and Clara. Clara's hand slipped into mine and before Lucy could speed up to walk ahead of us, I grabbed her hand firmly in mine and pulled her back to me.

The three of us, hand in hand, started to walk toward the main entrance. Clara slowly unwound her fingers from mine and began to kick small rocks, her childish ways overcoming her fear. The closer we walked to the entrance, the more my stomach flips inside me.

Before I knew it, I was peeking through the dirty windows of the front of the hospital. Clara had her small arms wrapped around my leg and Lucy still had her hand in mine.

"We're going in?" Lucy asked, her free hand already resting on the handle.

Before replying, I pulled her towards me and placed my hand on the back of her neck. Slowly, I leaned in and brushed my lips against hers. Her soft lips and sweet taste mixed with my own as she pulled herself closer, wrapping her arms around my neck.

Pulling away, she stared into my eyes, a small smile on her face.

Pushing open the door, the three of us walked through.