Chapter 41: Redemption

Sitting on raised black granite chairs in the dim torchlit room, the Masters conferred amongst themselves in urgent whispers as Sadie and Dylan waited, looking up at them from below. A fly flew by and settled underneath a nearby torch, its black and red eyes fixed on Sadie.

He's watching, Sadie thought.

But the thought was of little comfort, for if a lone fly was here, Wizard Dvesha probably wasn't.

Headmaster Gold spoke first. "Sadie, on that day in the Bloodwood, was this the species of monkey you saw?"

Leonard showed her an open page in a book—an illumination of a snow monkey.

Sadie nodded.

"I need a verbal response."

"Yes."

"Dylan?"

Dylan eyed the picture, then turned into a green leaf and back again.

"He means yes," Master Padwe said.

Headmaster Gold cleared his throat and continued. "And was it wise to try and shoo the monkey away after Master Padwe—your mentor and an expert on such matters—told you explicitly to let her be?"

"Well, no—"

"We all know it was foolish and dangerous," Master Dao snapped. "What's the point of this line of questioning?"

"Very well, Master Dao," Headmaster Gold said, his voice thick with contempt. "What would you have us do?"

"Act," Master Dao said icily. "Unless you want this school to become a graveyard."

"If I may," Master Sanders said, standing to address the others. "We have seen this plague before. Roughly two hundred years ago, in the South. Then, like now, it began with a monkey bite. Within a day, one of Clan Borzoo's serpents felt ill, dropping to the ground and twitching. Within a week, the plague had spread to the all the Clan's serpents, and amongst half the beastlies in the neighbouring villages."

Sadie felt a wave of nausea.

"And yet, the South still stands," said Master Joan. "How?"

"Clan Kaa sent a hunting party after the monkey and, after some searching, found it. With its blood, they were able to synthesize a cure. If we are lucky enough to find the monkey, I believe Master Padwe might be able to do the same."

"Master Padwe, is this true?"

He nodded. "That's my hope."

The room grew quiet as they considered the possibility.

"I would volunteer, but Ramsey is sick," Master Joan said, glaring at Sadie.

"Might Wizard Dvesha go?" asked Master Sanders.

"Away, attending to some important matters," said Headmaster Gold.

Sadie looked at the buzzing fly, whose black wings glowed orange and red under the torchlight.

"Then send Bone and me," Master Dao said. "We'll find the feral and bring her back."

"I'm afraid that's not possible," Headmaster Gold said. "The Council of Kings has declared the Academy a quarantine zone. No beastly is allowed to enter or leave the premises. The risk of infection is too great."

"So I'll go alone," Master Dao said, fuming.

"Not alone," Sadie said, her heart quickening. The room went silent as all eyes turned towards her. "We'll come with you."

"Out of the question," Headmaster Gold said.

"Please, I've seen the monkey," Sadie said desperately. "I know what she looks like."

"Dylan is a beastly and you are a first-year student without the necessary training," Headmaster Gold said. "It's too dangerous."

"He's a plant," Sadie said, "which makes him immune to beastly diseases."

Headmaster Gold turned to Master Padwe.

"She's right," Master Padwe said reluctantly. "But she's also reckless."

He hasn't forgiven me, Sadie thought. And he doesn't trust me.

"She is indeed reckless," said Master Joan. "But she's got a hunter's stealth."

"And a Warrior's cunning," added Master Dao. "I should know—I trained her myself."

Headmaster Gold sighed. "Clever and well-trained she may be, but she's still a child."

Master Dao rose from her black granite throne, gripping the hilt of her sword. "We send baby-faced soldiers into battle against orcs. This is a monkey. The time for debate is over. Sadie is coming with me."