Chapter 17: The Safe Handling of Toxic Materials

Sadie had left Master Joan's class elated, a feeling which continued well past lunch and into the afternoon. Not only had she impressed Master Joan, she had humiliated Nicolas and Geoffrey in the process. And she'd done it with her friends. All of which was wonderful but made it a little hard to concentrate.

"Now, does anyone know what this is?" said Master Padwe. With gloved hands, he held up a small twig dotted with little balls of yellow fluff, each of which consisted of hundreds of smaller fibres.

Master Padwe's greenhouse was cramped enough already. With an extra dozen desks and students, it was even worse. Sadie could only imagine what it'd be like once they had their beastlies.

"Lotus clouds," Aubrey said. Since class began, she'd known every answer, often raising her hand before he had even finished asking the question.

Sworn to Health, Sadie thought, remembering the Clan Kaa words.

"Correct," said Master Padwe. "And why would I be wearing gloves to handle something as innocent-looking as these little balls of fluff."

Aubrey raised her hand. "Because lotus clouds are a powerful painkiller, and they can be absorbed through your skin."

"Right again," Master Padwe said. "But you won't be handling them, at least not today. Because today you'll be learning the safe handling of toxic materials."

Several of the students groaned.

"Yes, yes, sparing yourselves from death and disfigurement is awfully dull, I know," Master Padwe said. "I teach it merely to test your patience."

Sadie turned around to look at Nicolas. He'd been surprisingly quiet since Master Joan's class. And now, instead of cracking wise about safety or healing, he was whispering something to Geoffrey. For a second, panic gripped Sadie as she considered what they were up to. But the fear soon subsided.

They're just licking their wounds, Sadie thought.

It was that thought that consoled her as she practiced taking on and off safety gloves and pouring water from one beaker into another. As much as they glared and whispered, Nicolas and Geoffrey couldn't do anything but complain.

Because they're not the clever ones, Sadie thought. I am.

#

Sadie woke the next morning feeling rested and determined. She'd already convinced Master Joan that she was worthy. But if she wanted a Warrior's beastly, she'd need to convince Master Dao, too. And that wasn't going to be easy. Sadie was certainly brave, but she wasn't a natural fighter like Fran. Which meant she'd need to think of something clever—and soon. Because the Ceremony of the Beastlies was tomorrow.

After scarfing down her breakfast of eggs and berries, Sadie dashed out of the Dining Hall, down the stairs, and through the marbled corridor towards the castle's entrance. Then, she pressed her palms into one of two massive oak doors, and pushed. After a moment, the door groaned as it opened into a beautiful fall day. The sun was high and bright, the sky a brilliant blue. Everywhere she looked, small black and blue birds were fluttering, filling the world with their song. But there was no time to admire the beauty. Master Sanders' class was soon, and she was hoping to see if she could find out what Master Dao was planning, so she could figure out some sort of plan.

Focusing intently, Sadie hurried across the drawbridge and towards the field where Master Dao taught her class. As she approached the armoury, she heard a girl's cries—loud, hysterical sobs. The sound of someone in danger.

Sadie turned. It was Sofi Jefen, the girl from Blizzard's Bay. She lay crumpled against the side of the armoury, her dark hair stuck to her tear-streaked face. Beside her, Nicolas and Geoffrey tried to console her.

"Sofi, what did you see?" Nicolas asked urgently.

"It w-w-was," Sofi said, struggling to get the words out between the sobs, "an elemental."

Sadie gasped. Her skin tingled with fear. When Leonard warned them of an elemental in the Swamplands, she didn't quite believe him. But they were real—and Sofi had seen one.

"Geoffrey, go warn the Masters," Nicolas commanded. "I'll blow the ram's horn. Sadie, watch over Sofi."

Before Sadie could respond, Nicolas and Geoffrey were off, sprinting towards the castle.

"Am I going to die?"

Sadie looked at her. She was shaking, hysterical, her bloodshot eyes twitching madly.

"You're not going to die. But we need to get you over the drawbridge and behind the castle doors."

"I can't move!" Sofi said, gripping her left leg. "I think it's broken."

With her heart pounding and mind whirling, Sadie considered her options. She could try and carry Sofi, but she wasn't strong enough to take her all the way. And with a girl on her back or in her arms, she'd be vulnerable to attack.

I need to stand my ground, Sadie thought. She moved towards the armoury.

"Where are you going?" Sofi said.

"I need a weapon," Sadie said. She shoved open the armoury door. There were bows, arrows, and dozens of swords of varying shapes and steels. Sadie had never shot an arrow before, so a bow would be useless. She'd never swung a proper sword either, but at least she knew how. But most looked far too big. Even with two hands, there was no way she could wield a four-foot blade. So, she snatched the smallest sword she could see. Its grip was emerald green, its blade gleaming silver.

Sadie went back outside, holding the sword in her trembling hand. She scanned the campus grounds, looking for the elemental, waiting. But it was eerily still. No students or beastlies roamed the grounds. And other than the birds above and Sofie's shuddering sobs, all Sadie could hear was the thumping of her own heart.

She tightened her grip on the sword, preparing to strike. But could she really defeat a massive monster with a small sword?

No, Sadie thought. I'll need to try and summon my powers. It's the only way.

But she'd only ever done it once—by accident. And the flames had missed. It wasn't something she'd ever tried to conjure, and she wasn't sure it was even possible.

Sadie heard a scream in the distance. She jerked around, raising her sword. But it wasn't an elemental. It was Master Dao and Nicolas, running towards them. In front, Bone, Master Dao's hyena, galloped at alarming speed. Then there was another scream—louder, more hysterical, closer.

"Help!" Sofi Jefen yelled. "She's trying to attack me."

Sadie looked at Sofi. Her face was still a wet, blotchy mess, but she was smiling now, ever so slightly. Sadie's heart dropped.

No, no, no, no, no, Sadie thought.

"Come quick!" Sofi screamed, dropping her smile. "She's going to kill me."

Bone was there first, snarling, his beady black eyes locked on Sadie. Thick gobs of spit fell from his fangs.

"Drop the weapon!" Master Dao commanded.

Sadie did. The sword fell to the grass with a clatter. "Master Dao, it wasn't my fault. They tricked me—"

"Save your words, girl," Master Dao snapped. "Because you're going to need them."

Nicolas helped Sofi up, then hugged her.

"What do you mean?" Sadie said.

Master Dao picked up the sword, wiping the grass and dirt from the blade with her sleeve. "Not only did you steal a sword, you used it to threaten a student. That's grounds for expulsion."

Sofi whimpered softly, her face pressed into Nicolas' shoulder.

It's all so fake, Sadie thought. How did I fall for it?

"And expulsion is what I'll argue for," Master Dao continued. "When I bring you before the Grand Council of the Masters."